MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Spiccato loudness with KS

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Spiccato loudness with KS

Postby bFooz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 am

Hi, I'm new to GPO and sample software in general.

I have this problem (or maybe don't know how to use it): with loaded e.g. Small Section -> 4 Violas KS , the spiccato articulation is much louder than SusVib. And the resulting dynamics while playing and keyswitching are understandably unusable.

Could you explain how to use it well please? Thank you.

bFooz

Re: Spiccato loudness with KS

Postby Credo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 am

Spiccato/Staccato/Martele/Sautille/Sul tasto/pizzicato/col legno............

Those all use both CC1 AND key velocity to get dynamics, where the sustains get it from CC1 (or CC11).

I took a look at the sfz file for the 4 Violas and see that you can adjust the "velocity tracking" for that particular patch using CC12. I.E. If you set CC12 to 127, then you'll get a one for one correlation between key velocity and volume. If you set CC12 to 0, then it will always play full volume (relative to whatever CC7 [channel volume] and CC1/CC11 [expression volume]).

If this isn't enough to get the spiccato dynamics in balance then we'll need to consider tweaking the sfz a bit to pull the amplitude down for that layer (not sure exactly how right this second, but I'm sure it could be done).

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby bFooz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks, CC12 helped.

When I load a new instance of the ARIA player, I have it always set somewhere in the middle so I need to reset (max-out) it manually every time.

bFooz

Postby Credo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:41 pm

bFooz wrote:Thanks, CC12 helped.

When I load a new instance of the ARIA player, I have it always set somewhere in the middle so I need to reset (max-out) it manually every time.

If you want to change the default for a CC you can add a default setting to the <control> group near the top of an sfz file. Sometimes you'll have to go a few files deep if an sfz uses 'include' files, but it's not too hard to track stuff down.

Example:

1. Find and make a back-up the sfz file. Here's an example command for a windows command line in admin mode:
Code: Select all
copy "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 5\Instruments\Include\controls_gos_solos.sfz"  "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 5\Instruments\Include\controls_gos_solos.sfz.bak"

2. Open your target sfz file with a text editor such as Notpad that comes with Windows. You could just tap and hold the windows key and press r, then paste this into the run line:
"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 5\Instruments\Include\controls_gos_solos.sfz"

When Windows asks what to use to open an sfz file, let it use the Notepad text editor.

Add this line to the 'control group':

set_cc12=127
//Or whatever value from 0 to 127 you like.

3. Save the file and load/reload the sound in ARIA. You should find that all the strings that use this <control> group now default cc12 to your chosen entry when it first loads.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion