MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

New User Question

Music and technology related discussion

New User Question

Postby RayT » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:45 am

I've just upgraded to GPO 5. Wow! The sounds are outstanding! I have a few questions. I'm using a Roland RD-300NX for my primary keyboard. For FC2 I'm using a volume control pedal and I'm transmitting CC007. Is this the best way to control the volume of the soft synths? Should I keep the modulation and pitch bend as is?

RayT

Re: New User Question

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:26 am

With the Garritan libraries CC#7 is channel volume, and is used to create a balance between the relative volumes of the instruments in an ensemble. It's normally a case of "set and forget". I.e. get the relative volumes right at the start and then leave them, except perhaps for a fade in or out.
There are three ways to control 'expression', the mod wheel (in GPO) is considered to be the main expression controller if we're talking strings, woodwinds and brass, except for pizzicato. However, the mod wheels function is exactly duplicated by cc#11 (expression) and cc#2 (breath). But one should just use one of those.

I see the Roland keyboard has a joystick and, if I'm not mistaken, it automatically returns to zero, which makes it useless to control expression in the 'normal' way expected by GPO. (I opened my little PCR-M30 up and removed the spring.) So you could remap FC2 to cc#11 if you like.

The way that most instruments are created is that they don't go to complete silence with cc#11 (or mod or cc#2) at minimum. If a note is played with the expression controller at minimum it will play pppp, and ffff at full travel.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby RayT » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks! While awaiting a reply I did exactly what you stated here. It works for me.

Thanks again.

RayT

Postby Addy Addison » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:28 am

Here are three approaches to be in charge of phrase, the mod turn in thought to survive the Customassignment.com fundamental appearance organizer in case we're chatting twine, with the exception of pizzicato.

Addy Addison