MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Budget Score-writer for GPO  <SOLVED>

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Budget Score-writer for GPO

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 pm

I've got a budget of about US$350, and would like to be able to compose orchestral music to a score (notation) and then hear that performed by the computer. GPO4 seems like the best set of sounds for my budget, which would leave me about US$200 for a score-writer. That obviously rules out the top-line score-writers. What products for <= US$200 would work best with GPO4?

Thanks!

Peter McLennan

Re: Budget Score-writer for GPO

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:21 am

Notion works well with GPO — almost out of the box.
MakeMusic's own PrintMusic costs (far) less than Finale:
I suppose it's fine-tuned to work with Garritan...
Hope it helps.

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby Peter McLennan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks Fabio. I was initially leaning towards PrintMusic but was warned off it in another forum; they reckoned it was too cut-down and would just lead to frustration. Notion apparently has fewer limitations.

I'm currently trying the Notion demo and have been impressed with its included sounds. Makes me wonder if GPO would really be much of an improvement. If I didn't get GPO, that would leave some $ for a DAW which everyone says I need, although I have no idea how a DAW relates to a score-writer.

Peter McLennan

Re: Budget Score-writer for GPO  <SOLVED>

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:42 am

Hi Peter.

Notion own samples are good ones, with their own strengths and weaknessess around.
Indeed, they are useful at getting in touch with the way the environment works.
Just consider that you can't use them outside of Notion.

GPO is a more powerful — still easy to use — tool. The more you will play around with it, the more you will obtain from it.

DAWs are a different piece of cake. I'm not qualified to talk about it. Just, let say that you can usually import a score as a MIDI data file into it and than easily edit them to fit your needs. And then there is audio processing and mixing… bla… bla…
As far as you are demoing Notion, you are already aware that there are a mixer and a few bundled effects.

In any case, my thumb rule is not to hurry. Take your time to concentrate on learning your hw/sw rig one piece at the once, you can always add things in the future.

Hope it helps.

Fabio Biolcati

Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby Peter McLennan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:53 am

Fabio, you just inadvertently answered my latest questions! I was indeed wondering whether Notion's sounds could be used elsewhere (eg, in a DAW). I've just finished reading(!) the GPO4 manuals and I can see how flexible GPO is—and how it could be used with a DAW.

I was also wondering how a score got from a score-writer (eg, Notion/Finale) into a DAW. I didn't know whether it was streamed/piped in real time (ie, both products running simultaneously), or sequentially via a shared file format (eg, .MID). I would have thought that transferring via .MID would lose a lot of notation and performance details. I guess the idea is to do all that stuff in the DAW if you're that way inclined.

I'll take your advice and not rush into a DAW (so to speak). Notion+GPO sounds like the way forward for me.

Thanks again for your time!

Peter McLennan

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:20 am

You're welcome.

Fabio Biolcati

Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby Credo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:28 am

Peter McLennan wrote:Fabio, you just inadvertently answered my latest questions! I was indeed wondering whether Notion's sounds could be used elsewhere (eg, in a DAW). I've just finished reading(!) the GPO4 manuals and I can see how flexible GPO is—and how it could be used with a DAW.

I was also wondering how a score got from a score-writer (eg, Notion/Finale) into a DAW. I didn't know whether it was streamed/piped in real time (ie, both products running simultaneously), or sequentially via a shared file format (eg, .MID). I would have thought that transferring via .MID would lose a lot of notation and performance details. I guess the idea is to do all that stuff in the DAW if you're that way inclined.

I'll take your advice and not rush into a DAW (so to speak). Notion+GPO sounds like the way forward for me.

Thanks again for your time!

Saving something in a score package to a MIDI file shouldn't lose 'performance' information. It just 'translates' the score marks and such into MIDI events.

As a general rule of thumb: If you're trying to export or import a score with the traditional sorts of 'mark up' information, and let the next application attempt to 'display it with all the traditional score markings' AND 'translate it for playback' using its own formulas and systems, then you would use XML. If you simply want the raw 'performance' as the original application would 'translate' all the score marks, then you use MIDI.

Note: The DAWs out there that can import and translate XML are NOT common. You'd be looking at a few flag-ship fully featured pro level DAWs to get that ability, and even then there will be some user-side tweaking required to get a good 'score translation'.

In short, you can use any Score Package you like to build compositions, and then 'export' a MIDI file to a DAW of your choice for further processing. You'll get the 'performance' information (CC events, pitch-bend, RPN, note-on/off-velocity, etc.) generated by the Score Package, but you won't get all the 'visible' score symbols (stuff like dots, accents, hair-pins, lettered dynamic markings, etc.)

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby Peter McLennan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 am

Thanks (again) Credo. Given my budget, I don't think I'll be getting a DAW that handles notation or MusicXML. I'm encouraged that MIDI can communicate all the performance nuances that the score-writer can express; the format has stood the test of time well.

Peter McLennan

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:57 am

Peter,
Just as an idea, you may like to try a program called Anvil Studio from, surprisingly perhaps, anvilstudio.com! It's more of a MIDI sequencer with some audio bits tacked on rather than a full scale piece of DAW software.
I still use MIDI sequencer software from more than a decade ago by Yamaha called XGworks. It handles basic notation, but not the score dynamics markings. These are entered by drawing or playing in the necessary MIDI controllers.

Here's a screen shot of a piece in initial preparation with some MIDI controllers shown in the "controller panes" towards the foot of the image.

We're looking at the MIDI controllers for the long note by Oboe da Caccia II.
The library being used is GPO4.

Any help?
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Peter McLennan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 pm

SysExJohn: yes! Anvil Studio seems like a good balance between score and control. I'll have a tinker with the free version. Even with the necessary add-ons to make full use of a VST library, it seems like good value.

Peter McLennan

Next