MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Snare drum snares off sound

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Snare drum snares off sound

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 pm

In the screenshot attached, the snares off notes are the Ab and A note right between channels 9 and 10.
basic orchestral percussion.jpg
basic orchestral percussion.jpg (196.27 KB) Viewed 5839 times

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:45 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Thank you, Michael. I just used the document setup wizard, and created the regular staves I get when using either "toys" or "basic orch percussion", both staves played exactly the same 13 sounds. It would be nice to use them, but I gave up on it sometime ago, so it's unimportant to me. I thought I'd give it a test because of Art's query. Good luck. Maybe I'll look again later, as I have shows to play this weekend.
Hello again Steve,

Just to clarify, when using the 'Setup Wizard' to create my percussion stave, I just add a blank stave. I then go to the Aria Player and load the percussion instruments I want for that stave and enter the appropriate notes for the instrument I want following the instruments mapping in the manual.

I never try to load a percussion set using the 'Setup Wizard'. I gave up on that ages ago. I'm sure some people manage it but it's not for me.

Michael.B

Postby Michael.B » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 pm

gogreen wrote:King freeze: note A4--is that a keyboard reference? Which note would that be in GPO4 basic orchestra percussion in the aria player?

Michael: any suggestions on a snare drum with snares off sound, possibly a good substitute sound?

Thanks!
Hello Art,

Could I just clarify that by 'snare Off sound' you mean a clean hit of a snare after a snare roll or sequence?

If this is it, then Steve's screenshot shows the GPO4 notes for this. These are just right and left hand side drum hits. If you did want more of the snare sound then the next two notes, B2 and C3, give left and right hand snare hits.

Are these what you're looking for or do you need something different?

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Hmmm, very clever,. lemme see if I understand. If I am using 8 staves with the aria player, I add a stave to the score (becoming 9 staves), then, load the 9th slot with "basic orchestral percussion", and I would get access to all 26 samples in "basic orch percussion" in the 9th stave ?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Hmmm, very clever,. lemme see if I understand. If I am using 8 staves with the aria player, I add a stave to the score (becoming 9 staves), then, load the 9th slot with "basic orchestral percussion", and I would get access to all 26 samples in "basic orch percussion" in the 9th stave ?
He he .. that's it .. you got it Steve. :D

You will need to choose appropriate clefs to keep the notes on or near the stave .. take a look at my screenshot to see what I mean.

You can also apply layers to different sets of instruments as I did in that screenshot. Layer 1 is 'Basic Orchestral Percussion', Layer 2 is 'Percussion Toys' and Layer 3 is JaBB Handclaps and Thumbsnaps'.

As I mentioned earlier I will try to get a full 'Michael's Memo' done for this as other people are struggling with Finale's maps system. With my method, I find percussion is a joy to use. ;)

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:23 pm

add staves.jpg
add staves.jpg (91.07 KB) Viewed 5839 times
Michael, trying to add a new stave seems to always include the setup wizard. As pictured here.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:32 pm

kingfreeze wrote:
add staves.jpg
Michael, trying to add a new stave seems to always include the setup wizard. As pictured here.

Steve, have you tried adding a blank staff through the 'Score Manager'?

Go to:
Score Manager/Add Instrument ~ On the top line you should see 'Blank Staff'. Double click on 'Blank staff' in the right hand window.

That should do it. In 'Score Manager' you can then drag the staff to wherever you want in your score.

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Michael, I am unsure if I have the score manager, I have finale 2011 printmusic, and from I've read, that's not a bad choice. However, I chose solo violin, then reloaded that slot with "percussion toys", and behold, jingle bells. The first attempt, I chose alto flute, and got another sound, so I surmised alto flute was another clef than C concert, so I used the violin and reloaded. This is great information, I'm sure make music will send you a fat check !
So, there you go Art, snare off snares tutorial, and thank you Michael. I will be using this.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Yep, at a glance, I'm pretty sure the score manager was added in 2012, but, I can still make your system work by reloading the slot with whatever percussion choice I want...again, thanks for making this simple, good luck.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby gogreen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Success! It's a side drum sound, and it's midi note value 57. I don't know why this was confounding me so much. Anyway, snare-drum-with-snares-off sound problem solved! Thanks, Steve and Michael. I have returned to happy camperdom. 8-)

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

PreviousNext