MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

The reason this Forum is rather dead

Everything else

The reason this Forum is rather dead

Postby rbowser » Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Initially, a few of us put in a big effort to help this Forum launch. We stuck with it for quite awhile, even when posts in response were few and far between.

But we've lost our steam. I've begged people to get involved here, but the vast majority of people just don't want to join in on a Forum which looks so dead - Of course, waiting for other people to get more involved first doesn't help at all. That attitude just perpetuates the problem.

At this point though, I've cut my participation way back. It's impossible to stay enthusiastic. Now I'm like the other people I was earlier begging to get involved.

There is one BIG and obvious reason that it's impossible for enthusiasm for this Forum to grow: Support and participation from MakeMusic is virtually non-existent. It seems clear this Forum isn't of great importance to the company. It was pretty much started, then abandoned. We've had Gary show up I think 3 times now. Always great to see him - but the Forum is obviously not on his radar, and so this webpage just flounders without his participation which made the original Forum flourish.

Without a very visible and continuous presence of the company, the way we used to have at the original Garritan Forum (which is still going strong, by the way) - then it's understandable that people aren't getting motivated to make visiting this Forum a part of their daily routine.

And - well, it's really a shame.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: The reason this Forum is rather dead

Postby Michael.B » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello Randy,

I felt I just had to respond to your post.

rbowser wrote:Initially, a few of us put in a big effort to help this Forum launch. We stuck with it for quite awhile, even when posts in response were few and far between.

But we've lost our steam. I've begged people to get involved here, but the vast majority of people just don't want to join in on a Forum which looks so dead - Of course, waiting for other people to get more involved first doesn't help at all. That attitude just perpetuates the problem.

Randy

I just looked at the present members list; we now have 1690 members. I also did a quick peruse through the list and the majority of members of these forums have zero posts. Even if a fraction of these members posted regularly these forums would probably flourish.

This begs the question why are so few members posting here?

rbowser wrote: ..... At this point though, I've cut my participation way back. It's impossible to stay enthusiastic. Now I'm like the other people I was earlier begging to get involved
Randy

I had noticed that, like myself, you had cut your participation back. This is sad and I really hope something happens to regain enthusiasm and involvement.

rbowser wrote: ..... There is one BIG and obvious reason that it's impossible for enthusiasm for this Forum to grow: Support and participation from MakeMusic is virtually non-existent. It seems clear this Forum isn't of great importance to the company. It was pretty much started, then abandoned. We've had Gary show up I think 3 times now. Always great to see him - but the Forum is obviously not on his radar, and so this webpage just flounders without his participation which made the original Forum flourish.

Without a very visible and continuous presence of the company, the way we used to have at the original Garritan Forum (which is still going strong, by the way) - then it's understandable that people aren't getting motivated to make visiting this Forum a part of their daily routine.

And - well, it's really a shame.

Randy

I'm certain this is an important reason. Like yourself I remember well the days when Gary was active in his forums. This made such a difference and, like yourself, I had hoped that Gary would have resumed his usual presence in his new forums. Additionally, a regular appearance by MakeMusic Staff would also be very welcome and would also go some way to boosting these forums.

I can't let this go without mentioning our christmas CD page and the seemingly lack of interest for this amazing project here.

I've tried everything I can including emailing or PMs to regulars of our past albums and new members here. I've contacted regular posters in our Media Room checking that they know about the project. I know that you have also been promoting this in the Northern Sounds.

As a comparison, round about this time for previous years we had 14 to 21 entries; presently we have just 9 entries.

Ah well, here's hoping things will pick up.

Michael.B

Postby Jim Ortner » Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Almost every forum I have been a member of for the past 10 years have died out are have become very slow. The only exception are a couple Amusement/Theme Park forums.

I think Facebook and Twitter have really hit into the normal forum users.

I've cut down my forum time the past few years and rarely post. Part of it is a time issue. I just don't have enough time to record music it seems, so one of the first things I cut back on is internet time.

Jim

Jim Ortner

Postby drumroll » Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm

It is hard to compete with the original forum over at Northern Sounds. Gary and his team were involved in all aspects of launching and supporting their products. They made every effort to create a nurturing environment for all their customers. It's rare that you see a president and his software developers participating in their company forum and also run an amazing business. What a trooper!

The result being that he created a space likened to a Pub atmosphere. It's a great hangout. And many of the customers became such proficient users that they are now forum support staff for the newbies (and even some of us veteran users). I was away from the forum for a while but since I've rejoined, it seems like it is still the place that I left. Maybe not quite as active but, definitely as inviting and comfortable as always.

Also, I think that this forum might be floundering because, for most people, one forum is all we really have time for. This forum is redundant to the other. Most of us are going to be involved in the forum with the best support environment and right now, Northern Sounds is the one. I think at this point you would have to redirect everyone at Northern Sounds to come here and close that one. I don't want to see Northern Sounds lose the traffic but, it doesn't seem like two sites can really coexist. So Makemusic is going to have to either ante up, cede or just remain lame.

You guys did your best to get it going and I hate to see it fail but, I think it might be out of your hands. The old dogs like the way things are and I think the new dogs prefer facebook and twitter. You might not be able to win this one.

Best of luck,
Paula

drumroll

Software Owned:
GPO4
IO
Finale 2009

Postby kingfreeze » Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm

I had also noticed this forum slow down a lot. Randy and Michael knocked themselves out getting this forum off the ground. Northern sounds doesn't seem as friendly to me as the vibe I have gotten here. People don't respond to posts, I also have an issue at northern sounds accessing the forum on multiple devices. pc works, bb playbook works, iPad says it's private, I look here for information, in part because the forum was started about the time I acquired my first licensed mm products. Randy and Michael were paramount to me installing and learning to use mm products, I hope you guys don't disappear. Personally, I don't have enough experience with all aspects of modern music production to comment or answer questions, so largely I don't respond, but I do read in here daily. In particular, I revisit Michael B's tutorials. Things like this take time, possibly the forum will gather momentum. regardless, thanks for being here, and what information has already been shared.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Tom Davis » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Why so few posts?

Part of the issue is a degree of doubt about what is or is not allowed to be posted. That, followed by the threat that posts found to be in violation of the vague rules may be removed, is insulting.

I have asked a number of posters what exactly isbe allowed. The most interesting answer was, "Don't ask - don't post." An unacceptable answer at best.

A specific example - I have a choral selection written in Finale with all Garritan instruments through ARIA. However, the choral parts are samples by another publisher that allows the words to be sung - also through ARIA. One responder advised that such a composition should not be considered in violation as long as I made no mention of the choral parts or the other publisher. Another responder indicated that he had posted a song using the same choral library and his work was removed after just one day.

At best, such sanctions and sensor-ship with vague penalties of exclusion are counter productive and makes the host company seem petty and defensive. Definitely not a good public image to bestow upon themselves.

Tom Davis

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 am

Hello: Yes, your reason could be valid. Our most talented MM product posters have moved on, I am happy I was in here when they were active. Still, things happen in cycles, and the forum could be repopulated in time. Again, I answer what I can, but only basic question largely. It is distressing, as I have always had problems in northern sounds. I can see the forums, and read the threads, but as soon as I log in it lists the forums as "private", and I get this message.
"kingfreeze, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."
No reason whatsoever for that message to appear, I used to have no problem simply replying to posts. I use Reaper DAW, and have found them to be very responsive and helpful, I largely have gravitated to that forum.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Tom Davis » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 am

kingfreeze wrote:Hello: Yes, your reason could be valid. Our most talented MM product posters have moved on, I am happy I was in here when they were active. Still, things happen in cycles, and the forum could be repopulated in time. Again, I answer what I can, but only basic question largely. It is distressing, as I have always had problems in northern sounds. I can see the forums, and read the threads, but as soon as I log in it lists the forums as "private", and I get this message.
"kingfreeze, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."
No reason whatsoever for that message to appear, I used to have no problem simply replying to posts. I use Reaper DAW, and have found them to be very responsive and helpful, I largely have gravitated to that forum.

A very unfortunate situation - do you ever post on the original Garritan room - it is still having a flurry of activity with a lot of contributors.

Tom Davis

Postby kingfreeze » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 am

Tom, could you direct me to the "original " Garritan room please ?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Tom Davis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:26 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Tom, could you direct me to the "original " Garritan room please ?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/for ... -Libraries

Tom Davis

Next