MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

java issue with finale plug-in installation

Moderator: Michael Good

java issue with finale plug-in installation

Postby jamestfleming » Mon May 02, 2016 9:35 am

While attempting to load the Finale plug-in I get a message that 'Java needs to be installed' even though java is already installed. Present Java version 8 update 91 (1.8.0-91-b14).
jamestfleming

Re: java issue with finale plug-in installation

Postby Michael Good » Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

You need a 32-bit Java to work with the 32-bit versions of Finale. On Mac, this means installing Apple Java 6. On Windows, just be sure to install a 32-bit version of Java 8 as well as a 64-bit version. If that doesn't fix the problem please let us know.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: java issue with finale plug-in installation

Postby jamestfleming » Wed May 04, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for your reply Michael . . . I was able to easily fix this issue by installing the 32 bit version of Java. With the intention of helping others that may have the same problem I will add a bit more detail for clarity. My system is Windows 10 64 bit. Java 32 bit must be stored in a directory separate from the 64 bit version. On my system the 64 bit version in stored in C:\Program Files\Java\. The 32 bit version should be installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java location. Here's a way to insure that it will go into the right location. During Java installation one has the option to change the destination of the install . . . . check the 'change destination' box before you begin the installation. The default destination for the 32 bit version is C:\Program Files (x86)\Java. If this comes up after checking the 'change destination' box, a change in destination is not required and you're ready to go. If a different location comes up, change it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java.
jamestfleming