MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

I THINK I'M DID SOMETHING WRONG

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

I THINK I'M DID SOMETHING WRONG

Postby sus4 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Let me start by asking a question or two.
1. When I solo track one of my song in my DAW, which is Logic Pro X, and I click on Aria Player and it opens, all the slots are full with all the instruments of my song on different slots. Is this correct?
2. When I solo track two in my DAW and then open Aria Player all the slots are empty except slot number two which shows that instrument. And when I open all the rest of the tracks it's the same as track two, they're all empty except that particular track. Is this correct?

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Re: I THINK I'M DID SOMETHING WRONG

Postby Derrek » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 am

I'm not familiar with Logic Pro, but soloing a track in Sonar does not affect the slot assignments in Aria; and I think it unlikely that other DAW's would either.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby sus4 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:15 am

I'm not sure I totally understand your answer. I'm really concerned about the way Aria looks when you open it in your DAW. I would think it opens the same in any DAW. My question is when you open Aria in your DAW does it show all the slots filled with each different instrument or does it show each slot empty except for the one slot you clicked on?

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Derrek » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Whatever slots I have filled in Aria remained filled with their respective instrument sounds when I solo a part.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Credo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 pm

sus4 wrote:I'm not sure I totally understand your answer. I'm really concerned about the way Aria looks when you open it in your DAW. I would think it opens the same in any DAW. My question is when you open Aria in your DAW does it show all the slots filled with each different instrument or does it show each slot empty except for the one slot you clicked on?

When starting a new instance of ARIA, the slots remain 'empty' until I open the ARIA UI and assign instruments.

I can easily have more than one ARIA instance if 16 instruments are not enough. I.E. One instance offers 16 instruments. Two instances offers 32 instruments. Three instances offers 48. Etc. You can keep adding as many instances as you like up to your hardware's potential (memory, drive/bus bandwidth/cpu speed).

I can use a 'multiple output' version of the plugin if I need to route individual instruments in ARIA to different audio streams in the DAW. I.E. To isolate and apply compression to a piano sound, I could assign the piano to ARIA audio outputs 3 & 4 instead of 1 & 2. Next I would drop in an INSERT in my DAW to process the ARIA 3 & 4 stream.

Once I have assigned instruments and then 'save' my DAW 'project', the VST protocol provides hooks which allow ARIA to reload the last used instrument set (and all other previously used settings). While the MAC might not use the 'vst' plugin, it is highly likely that whatever plugin type Logic does use, supports a similar protocol to launch and load a plugin along with specific settings.

Some software, such as Finale, or Sibelius can use special 'instrument or expression maps' which allow you to select instruments in ARIA without actually opening an ARIA UI. In these cases, the 'host' is sending special commands to ARIA that tell it what instruments to load where.

Using the 'mute' or 'solo' buttons in a DAW or scoring package typically does NOT unload the instruments in the plugin. All it does is mute the MIDI (or VST events) that would normally be sent to 'trigger' the instrument.

So this seems quite normal:
1. Start logic.
2. Open an instance of ARIA, which will not have instruments assigned.
3. Set up the instruments and channels you want in ARIA.
4. Set up the effects offered in ARIA (convolution and standard reverb).
5. Build some music on a MIDI track in your DAW.
6. Point each of Logic's MIDI tracks to the ARIA instance and channel desired.
7. Save your DAW project.

Next time you open your DAW project, you should find all of your ARIA instances as they were when you last 'saved' the project.

Inside ARIA itself, you can save frequently used 'instrument sets'. I.E. Build your favorite string quartet setup, and save/load that from inside ARIA. This is mostly useful early on in projects, when you're just getting set up for the first time. After that, your settings also get saved as part of the overall DAW project.

Muting/Soloing tracks, or mixer channels in the DAW will NOT alter the state of the plugins assigned to those tracks. It just provides an easy way to temporarily isolate and listen to a track, or various groups of tracks on playback.

I'm not sure about Logic, but in my DAW (CuBase), I can choose if I want a plugin to be loaded as a 'rack' type plugin, or a 'track' type plugin. If you are using ARIA as a 'rack instrument' (where MIDI is kept separate from the AUDIO bus controls) the DAW simply stops sending MIDI data to the 'muted' channels. If you are using ARIA on 'track' style instruments (the track holds both MIDI data, and controls the plugin's audio bus), then the mute/solo buttons might also stop/enable being able to hear any of the instance's instruments playing over that BUS.

To further clarify 'rack modes' vs 'track modes':

Rack Mode: If I wanted to do a multi-timberal piece where many different types and families of instruments are hosted via single AIRA instance, then I would prefer the 'rack mode'. Each part of my piece would then live on an independent MIDI track. I would totally control ARIA via MIDI events on these tracks. The 'audio buses' or outputs of ARIA would have dedicated sliders on the DAW mixing console for controlling the ARIA 'audio streams'.

Track Modes: If I wanted to use a single ARIA instance to layer up several instruments inside ARIA for a single 'patch or idea' that plays in unison, then I might opt for a 'track' mode. I.E. A pipe organ sound that has several ranks set to the same channel (or OM) in a single ARIA instance. In this case, I could use the 'track mode'. Now my DAW track doesn't just host the MIDI data for playing the ARIA instance, but it also contains hooks for controlling the actual audio output/bus/stream of the ARIA instance. My ARIA audio output will show up on my Mixing console along with the 'track' that is hosing the MIDI data. Levels I set with MIDI CC7 might even be separate, yet relative to my using the DAW to 'automate' various fader movements on the ARIA 'track'. In my case (with CuBase), I can still route pure MIDI tracks to 'track instrument' plugins, but the AUDIO stream is still going to live on the original 'instrument track' that is hosting the plugin.

So, unless you want a totally new instance of ARIA on every single track, then figure out how to launch your ARIA instances in 'rack mode' (Logic might call it something different).

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby sus4 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:53 am

Credo, thanks for your wonderful post. I'm going with the Rack mode.
There is another problem and if I knew how to post a screen shot you could see it.

sus4

Software Owned: