MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

channel 3/4 not enabled for audio output in Mac?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

channel 3/4 not enabled for audio output in Mac?

Postby chueh » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:01 pm

I am using a MacBook with one built-in audio output (channels 1/2). I am adding an external sound card and successfully creating two aggregates in Audio Midi Setup. I test channel 1/2 vs. 3/4 separately, as well as together. They all work fine, yet I cannot get all 4 channels to work in Aria Player.

From System preference/Sound. The aggregate device is active:

Audio Midi Setup/Audio Device. Builtin device is 1/2, while external sound card is 3/4:

I clicked on Configure speakers to make sure things matched:

I don't understand why can only one stream be selected and enabled??? It's either stream 1 or stream 2.

Anyhow, they all work when I watch youtube videos and mov files with output devices all together or separately, but NOT in Aria Player. Only is 1/2 in black color, while 3/4 is in grey like the rest:

chueh

Re: channel 3/4 not enabled for audio output in Mac?

Postby Derrek » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 am

From the Garritan Aria Manual:
Call up the Preferences setup dialog from the Tools menu on the ARIA standalone interface. You’ll see drop-down menus for MIDI Devices, Audio Device API, Audio Devices, Stereo Pair, Sample Rate, and Buffer Size.
Stereo Pair:
Here you can define which of the stereo outputs should be used. It is normal to have one stereo pair available, labeled 1-2. However, many pro audio devices have multiple outputs available, in which case you may choose the one that you would like to use as the ARIA Player’s output.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Credo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:11 am

I see you made an aggregate device in the Mac's Core Audio system.

Does the Mac Version of ARIA have a 'preferences' option somewhere to make sure you've told it to use your freshly created aggregate?

If not, you might drop a message on the Plogue site/forums to see what the ARIA experts have to say about it. They can help you get the latest ARIA engine (if you're not already). While the player itself hasn't changed much in quite a while, the underlying engine gets fairly regular updates from Plogue. ( http://www.plogue.com/ )

It's possible that some players and hosts simply don't support Apple aggregate devices.
If they can't get you sorted at the Plogue forums with your aggregate combination on the stand alone ARIA player, there's bound to be a variety of plugin 'hosts' (some free, some not) that can get all your outputs working. You could go as a plugin through a DAW, or if you're more of a live performer something like Plogue's "Bidule" (which can work standalone direct to hardware, or through rewire, or as a plugin in a DAW) also adds quite a set of interesting sound design abilities) might be in order.

Note, if you use more than one audio device to output, and these devices can't be synced to the same clock somehow, you might experience timing drift over time between the two interfaces. For short takes, it shouldn't present too much of a problem, but with longer takes it might grow to become noticeable.

(A source I used to brush up on some Apple Core Audio stuff: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000 )

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby chueh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Hey, Derrek and Credo, thanks for the replies. I had forgotten to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted, while thinking that my thread was not getting any replies. Thus, I typed in some keywords to search online if anybody had the same problem as I do, and I came across Randy's reply years back on someone's similar problem despite of using Logic as a host... Randy mentioned about Aria Player not being able to change to different audio channels but only default on 1/2. I am disappointed when reading it, yet is this still the way it is now??? I installed the latest version of Aria Player Engine though.

While waiting for replies from you guys, I also posted a question on Garageband's forum and asked if I could assign different audio channels to different tracks in Garageband. The answer was "NO." Despite of the answer, I still hope that it is not able only if Garageband is used without other AUs, such as Aria Player. I am hoping that assigning different audio channels is possible if the AUs are capable to assign different audio channels as Aria Player is. I tried an Aria Player instance on Garageband, yet the result was the same as standalone. Only are 1/2 channels enabled. :(

BTW, to answer Credo's question: I had checked the Preference of Aria Player (like Derrek mentioned here) on my Mac, and YES I assigned Audio Device to "Aggregate Device." The drop down menu of "Stereo Pair" showed the choices for both 1/2 and 3/4. Thus, the correct structure, so to speak is there. However, the 3/4 channels were still in GRAY color, not enabled even when I chose the Stereo Pair to 3/4..... The funny thing was that although the audio channels were still in 1/2, the music was played through channels 3/4, due to 3/4 was assigned in the Stereo Pair :cry: It's all whacked!

chueh

Postby Credo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 pm

OK, here is an option....

Grab sforzando and install that.
http://www.plogue.com/downloads/

sforzando can open and play properly registered Garritan libraries.

It only supports one instrument at a time (I call it a 'track instrument', where ARIA would be more like a 'rack' instrument), and has no built in reverb or convolution (use your DAW insert effects instead), but you should be able open as many instances as you like. Each instance should get its own unique audio stream.

Credo

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby chueh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Ok, Credo. I downloaded and installed Sfz AU only, due to Garageband only supporting AU. I opened one instance and tried to see how it worked. Where can I pull the audio stream specification out? Thanks

chueh

Postby Credo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Does Garageband have any kind of mixing console?

If so, each instance of sforzando should get a fresh stream of its own. You'd send that stream wherever you want it with whatever tools Garageband provides for these purposes.

Here I have CuBase, and Sibelius, and in both hosts, each new instance of sforzando causes a new audio output to pop up on the mixing console, where I can then insert effects, and/or control where the stream gets routed (mains, aux busses, etc).

For a typical stereo mix, you shouldn't need to do anything really. Just put whatever effect inserts you want in the stream path of each instance and pan it where you want in the stereo field.

If you're trying to get surround sound, or some kind of multi monitor stage mix, then you'll most likely need to set up more busses in the DAW (and connect them to the proper audio interface/outputs), and then direct the stream to the different busses (usually using sends).

I.E. Say you have a stereo main mix, and a stereo stage mix.
1. You'd create an aux bus, or secondary 'output' in the DAW mixing matrix for the monitors.
Your main bus goes to what ever amp(s) drive the house speakers.
Your monitor bus goes to whatever amp(s) drive your monitor speakers.

2. You'd add a pre or post aux send to the sforzando instance's stream to the monitor bus.

For running stage monitors, you'd most likely want to use a pre send. In this scenario, using the large fader on the mixing desk would change the volume to the 'mains', and the 'send' pot (or small slider) would adjust the volume for the monitor bus. If it's pre-send, then the main fader and send pot are NOT inter-related...you can independently change the volume to either bus.

If you use post sends, then the signals are routed in the same way as described above, but the output of the 'send' is relative to the output of the main volume for that channel. I.E. if you bring down the main fader, all the post-sends will go down with it.

In short for a multi bus mixing scenario, visualize how you'd connect everything if you had a real 4 or 8 bus hardware mixing console sitting in front of you. Set up the busses you need in your DAW, then route the streams in your DAW as you would for a real mixing console.

I wish I were more familiar with Garageband to give you some screen shots and such. Unfortunately all I can do from here is try to imagine or visualize, and explain the way most DAWs I know of do it.

When I get a moment, I'll sit down and create a kind of diagram on a virtual mixer to try to illustrate setting up such a virtual mixer.

Credo

Software Owned:

Postby chueh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Credo, thanks.
Garageband does have a mixing console, yet it's a pretty basic one, not as sophisticated as Cubase or Prologic. I need to look into what you said and try Garageband's capability. I'll also consult the Garageband people about it

chueh

Postby Credo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:35 pm

chueh wrote:Credo, thanks.
Garageband does have a mixing console, yet it's a pretty basic one, not as sophisticated as Cubase or Prologic. I need to look into what you said and try Garageband's capability. I'll also consult the Garageband people about it

Even if Garageband doesn't have a fancy graphical mixer with pretty sliders and pots to manipulate, there's a chance it might at least have the settings you need buried in the track settings somehow. Go through all your track settings and see if you can find any kind of settings that might resemble 'sends and busses' in a traditional mixing console.

If not...it's probably time to start evaluating a full featured DAW. There are some quite nice ones out there for less than $100. There's so many out there now, that you could probably go a full year evaluating them for 'free' before deciding to sink cash into one :)

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:

Postby chueh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Thank you Credo for all your help. You've always been so resourceful..... I appreciate all your input.

chueh