MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

CFX multi

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

CFX multi

Postby Steve Skinner » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 pm

When I load CFX in Pro Tools, I get 2 choices - CFX Concert Grand and CFX Concert Grand multi. When I choose CFX multi, 16 plugin input choices show up on my audio tracks, in the same way they do for Kontakt, BFD, Omnisphere, etc. When I choose regular CFX they don't. Yet I don't see a way to have multiple outputs from CFX. It would be great if I could print close, room, and reverb each on separate tracks, especially when sending my tracks to a mix engineer. Does anyone know if this is possible, or will be possible?
Thanks

Steve Skinner

Re: CFX multi

Postby Credo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Steve Skinner wrote:When I load CFX in Pro Tools, I get 2 choices - CFX Concert Grand and CFX Concert Grand multi. When I choose CFX multi, 16 plugin input choices show up on my audio tracks, in the same way they do for Kontakt, BFD, Omnisphere, etc. When I choose regular CFX they don't. Yet I don't see a way to have multiple outputs from CFX. It would be great if I could print close, room, and reverb each on separate tracks, especially when sending my tracks to a mix engineer. Does anyone know if this is possible, or will be possible?
Thanks

Sorry, I don't have the CFX product. Does CFX use Aria Player?

If it does I can tell you some things about how Aria's internal reverb effects work with the multi-output version.

If you use the built in Aria effects with the multi-output VST wrapper...the 'wet' signals will always be mixed from all 16 instrument slots in a given Aria instance to outputs 1 & 2.

All the other routings are going to be dry signals. If you have an Aria instrument output to 1 & 2, then both its dry and wet signals are going to come out of outputs 1 & 2.

So, if you want to use Aria's built in reverb units, just remember that its wet signals will always go out over outputs 1 & 2....anything else will be dry. If you want to isolate all your Aria instruments' dry signals from the FX channel, then avoid assigning ANY instrument output to 1 & 2 and just use that bus as a kind of FX Aux send within the Aria instance.

If your CFX product uses the Aria engine, but perhaps has a unique custom UI on top of it...then the general idea of how the FX stuff is mixed to output 1 & 2 should still apply.

Hopefully this is helpful and applies to your CFX product.

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: CFX multi

Postby Steve Skinner » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks for the reply, Credo. No, I'm using CFX as a plugin within Pro Tools, not with Aria Player.

Steve Skinner