MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

NAMM 2015

Moderator: Michael Good

NAMM 2015

Postby Michael Good » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

I'm in the midst of setting up my schedule for the NAMM show. NAMM will be in Anaheim, California from January 22 to 25 and my colleagues and I will be there for the entire show. Please email or private message me here if you would like to meet. Feel free to stop by our MakeMusic Booth 6210 in Hall A.

The MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) has tentatively scheduled a meeting on the status of electronic music score standards for Sunday the 25th at 3:00 pm in the Marriott Orange County Ballroom. MMA and AMEI members and guests will be providing updates on activities at standards groups such as the IEC and W3C. You don't have to be an MMA member to attend this meeting. I will post updates as more details come together.

I look forward to seeing many of you at NAMM!
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: NAMM 2015

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46 am

What will you do at Namm?

Defining Midi they forgot the clef - but have Time-signature and Key-signature.
And so many years later nothing has happened. It seems not realistic with any
development in Midi (when such a simple thing as the missing Clef can not be fixed).

But could Music Xml be events? It seems to me that both the "tie" and "backup"
commands will give problems. You cannot say "play this note 5 seconds ago". On
the note sheet it does not matter what you write first and last.

Will you try to sell Music Xml as an interface? Or something new?

Kind regards
Mogens
Mogens Lundholm

Postby Michael Good » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello Mogens,

The NAMM and the Musikmesse shows are the big music products trade shows. We use both those shows to meet individually with members of the MusicXML developer community. We try to learn where there are issues that could be improved either by changes to our Finale or Dolet software, or by improvements in MusicXML 4.0.

We find there are more independent notation software developers at Musikmesse than at NAMM, so we try to have a MusicXML community meeting at Musikmesse each year. We have had 40 or 50 people attending the past two years and plan to have another meeting this year, hopefully on Friday, April 17.

MusicXML 4.0 changes will most likely involve new features and improved documentation. With 180 implementors of MusicXML as an archival format, we are not going to be making changes that are incompatible with earlier versions of MusicXML. The exceptions may be in limited cases where we can be sure that nobody is actually using a particular MusicXML 3.0 feature.

The MIDI Manufacturers Association is the main standards organization specific to the music products industry, so it makes sense that they host the eScore standards meeting. Note that MMA is working on a new high-definition protocol for MIDI that will also be discussed on Sunday afternoon.
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Good » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm

I've just published a blog post summarizing the NAMM 2015 meeting on eScore standardization. It includes links to both my MusicXML/W3C presentation and Mr. Taro Tokuhiro's IEC/AMEI presentation. You can find it at:

http://www.musicxml.com/namm-2015-escore-standardization-efforts-in-w3c-and-iec/
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Good » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:54 am

I've posted another summary of MusicXML at NAMM 2015 on the Finale blog, aimed more at our Finale customers than the MusicXML blog post:

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/musicxml-namm-2015/
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good