MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

IO and GPO4

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

IO and GPO4

Postby Eric Labrie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:57 am

Hi guys

I would like to know how well they both matched together. I'm currently mixig an neoclassical album. All tracks have been mounted through GPO4 (with all individual strings (violon 1, 2, cello, viola and bass section, etc). If I complete my tracks with some textures from IO, do I run in mismatching from the 2 Library? Do the strings sections of IO sound the same as GPO4? I panned my GPO4 strings as per standard orchestral setting (vio. 1 hard left, vio.2 mid way to the left, viola in the center, bass hard right and cello 3/4 way through th right). Is it possible to change the panning of the IO strings section?

Thanks in advance

Eric Labrie

Software Owned:
Logic pro 9
GPO4
EWQL-SC
PSP vintage warmer II
PSP Xenon
Arturia synth
Melodyne
Melda bundle

Re: IO and GPO4

Postby Credo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:15 pm

I think this may be a fairly subjective question as to how well the two sample sets 'blend' when used 'together' in the same project. I personally don't see a problem with mixing and matching the two sets in the same project, but do keep in mind that the workflow and purpose of the two sets are fundamentally different.

GPO is better fit for full arrangements where each part of each individual section gets it own dedicated (and in a few cases a patch might be monophonic and not allow divisi arranging on the same track) MIDI track. If you need bigger orchestras, you increase section sizes as you go. GPO allows finer real time detail manipulation for each and every note in the arrangement. For this reason the workflow can be quite different as well. For instance, if you want to go from a smooth sustained bow style to something more marcato, then you could choose between using key switches to bounce between short up and down bow samples (while manipulating sustain and decay to some degree with a midi controller)....OR, you can use a variety of controllers to set up what ever attack and decay filters you like on the regular sustained sample.

IO provides rich sounding section and full orchestra samples. It seems more intended for sound stages, pop music, game sound tracks, etc. In these instances the style of scoring and composition tends to be much simpler melodies with basic harmonic padding where specific instrument voicings aren't as detailed and important. This sort of library becomes extremely valuable in scoring for pop/dance, film, video, meta-verses, or video game projects. IO also offers a huge range of prebuilt 'effect or mood' patches and sound sets that serve more like a pallet of single sample 'inspirational' patches that can easily be dropped into an arrangement without having to laboriously 'arrange' a full score for it (I.E. A full orchestra hit in a minor chord, or a full fff brass section playing in octaves with aggressive articulation).

IO will also require a little different work flow than GPO. Where GPO will have you doing more key switches and CC manipulation to get the articulations that you want...IO more often keeps various major articulation styles as a totally separate patch....so in your DAW it might be easier to have a separate track for each articulation style (or work in a polyphonic mode in tracks and use some sort of expression map to talk to the corresponding channels in Aria). While IO is very easy to get some big sounds out of very quickly, you will not get the range and degree of ultimate 'playing style control' that you'll have with GPO4. On the other hand, IO does offers a vast array of other types of controls more intended to help lay things into a sound stage 'mix' more easily.

Should you invest in both?
If you are strictly working with a Scoring package like Finale or Sibelius and must notate all your details with academic precision, then IO probably won't see much use. It's when you load things into a DAW, add post production padding to get 'bigger sounds', or work with all sorts of 'quick and dirty' projects where detailed attention to theory, realistic playing/voicings, and notation style isn't important that the Instant Orchestra set starts to come in handy.

Personally, I mix and match the two all the time in creative spurts and love the textures and options provided...BUT...I'm more experimental in nature and not worried about fitting any 'standards' for scoring or applying any major rules of orchestration/voicing in the projects where I throw the two sound sets together.

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion