MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO4, Aria Multi and Sibelius 7.5

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

GPO4, Aria Multi and Sibelius 7.5

Postby GPO4User » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:23 am

Hi all together.
Being an absolute beginner in this forum, might I please introduce myself shortly:
Composer and musicologist, using Sibelius 7.5 with full Sound library, added GPO4 because the orchestral percussion is way more crisper than in Sibelius.
Hardware: PB Windows 7 hope premium SP1 64bit, 16 GB RAM, c:\ is an SSD of 500 GB, Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy 5. Using ASIO Drivers by Creative.
Ok.
In a huge orchestral score one of the instruments is a vibraphone. I wish to control "sustain", that is, pedal. Then: Motor on / off, and controlled motor speeds.
However, Sibelius seems to allow one command at a time only for Instrument MIDI controllers. So I can set "pedal", and then "motor on". But I cannot give a command like "motor on fast", because in the latter case 2 controllers shoud be active at the same instant. (See attached picture)
Further, it seems that even the "pedal" command does not affect the vibraphones Sound.
(When I use the same Instrument on the standalone, this is far different, I get different Speeds in the vibrato, I can have almost staccatissimo notes when pedal is off... Naturally, I checked that no reverb is applied within Sibelius for that Instrument.)
Any suggestions how to do those things, please?
Another item is, that when using the "Basic Orchestral Percussion", I have at my choice for example several cymbals, 2 different bass drums, and so on, but in Sibelius I am using in that score different systems (each with 1 line: one for cymbals, one for bass drum, one for snare...), but with that configuration I only get one note per System, and no changes.
How can I manage that, please?
I'd be glad to be updated in this issue, as I had purchased GPO4 especially for the crispness of the Sound of "Basic Orchestral Percussion".
Thankx.

Attachments
Sib.Wiedergabe.Vibraphone.jpg
Screenshot of Sibelius' Player dictionary.
Sib.Wiedergabe.Vibraphone.jpg (542.95 KB) Viewed 2084 times
GPO4User

Re: GPO4, Aria Multi and Sibelius 7.5

Postby Derrek » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 am

I do not use Sibelius, so take my advice as speculation as I am trying to think how I might do this in Finale or Sonar. First, you probably already know that a DAW would make this easier, but in both cases the question is whether SIbelius would allow you to set two (or more) staves/tracks to the same MIDI channel.

In the case of the Vibes, I would try to use a second staff to send fan info w/ appropriate key switches and controller codes.

For the percussion, can you set all of the single-line percussion parts to the same MIDI channel yet have each generate (through a percussion map, does Sibelius have something like that?) a separate pitch?

I am hoping a Sibelius pro can follow up with more specific and thus helpful info for you.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby GPO4User » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks for your reply and effort, Derrek.
I had purchased the full version of Sib 7.5, so I wish to stick with that application allowing me so many nuances AND clear notation.
Concerning the vibes, there should be a way to control the instrument by the "playback directory", but I will have to find out in which succession all the singular commands have to be placed in the score.
Concerning the percussion, I could try out to "create new instruments", which contain in groups all those which are in the GPO sound set "Basic Orchestral Percussion", that should be 3 systems at 5 lines, then copy and paste the single line tracks into the corresponding 5-line system. I shall publish the result here as a help for others.
I shall also try and fouind out if Sib has a "percussion map", as I know it from "Sonar" (Cakewalk, they call it "drum map").

GPO4User

Postby GPO4User » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:35 am

Merry Christmas, my friends!
Finally I solved the Vibraphone isse, but - sorry at that - not with GPO4, but with Pianoteq. See the full description at the Sibelius help forum:
http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... groupid=3&
As for the other issues, I am still at work ;-)

GPO4User