MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Harmonium sound in GPO

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: Harmonium sound in GPO

Postby Wlgold » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 am

It's one of those MakeMusic peculiarities we all love. The Aria Player lists it under GWI/other/Asia. The Setup Wizard in Finale puts it under All/Keyboards (It's not listed under World, but it loads GWI when it finishes.) MM likes to keep us on our toes.

However, the OP doesn't appear to own GWI, but he has Finale and therefore SoftSynth accordion.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 am

Yes sir, I did find the harmonium, and listened briefly. I use simple entry, so didn't hear a harmony played. I Might plug it into a piano file and see how it sounds. Out of curiosity, I did Google harmonium, and heard what it sounds and looks like. I must admit, I have never encountered one, although I have worked around many ethnic folk instruments in my time.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:57 pm

kingfreeze wrote:Fabio, I just listened to your version of "It came upon a midnight clear" and you are a fabulous composer. Did you render this from Finale ? And did you use primarily GPO4 ? It is obvious you are a true professional with the software and composition, so please disregard my "baby talk" regarding vsti's and DAW's, I was only trying to be helpful.

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your replies, your commitment to be helpful. And for your kind words.

First, let me spend two cents about my request on pretending GPO organ sound like an harmonium.
I recently purchased a part of another string library consisting of a great, lush orchestra, the muted counterpart of a chamber ensemble and a harp. This almost dovetails with the musical forces needed to render Elgar's Op. 70, Sospiri, that calls in for obbligato harmonium — or organ.
Since there is no harmonium natively available in GPO4 — and seeing for one is so hard, I will eventually go for the organ, as allowed by Elgar himself in the score.

And now for something completely different…
I wish to thank you again for your kind words about my work.
As I like to say, «I sell outboard motors. I'm not an hotel inspector»: I'm just an amateur composer, had little piano training in my teens and I'm almost unable to read music — but I need to lay it down on a pentagram to see what happens.
As you noticed, my copy of ProTools is collecting dust. I purchased it as a bargain bundled with an audio interface and opened it twice: first time, to register it; the second time enough to persuade myself that DAWs are the closest thing to a real mess.
I compose, perform and mix within the other notation program listed at right using exclusively GPO4 — and some VSL (OMG! I named it!) in the near future.

That's all.

Cheers!

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Previous