MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

midi routing using a single instance of the aria player with

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Re: midi routing using a single instance of the aria player

Postby Michael.B » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:31 pm

kingfreeze wrote:thanks, Michael B. Do you think I can use individual instances up to maybe 20 without the computer crashing or something ? I'm good with that, because I know it works.

Hello again Steve,

I do believe the limit to the instances of Aria we can employ depends on our system so you can use as many as you like until your system complains. ;)

As you know, I don't use Reaper .. but I think I've just found someone here who does .. ;) I'll see if we can manage some more advice here.

I did try another session to see if I could use just one instance of Aria with 16 MIDI tracks controlled by the tracks sliders. No luck at all .. every route I took led back to the same situation. In Sonar and every other DAW I've seen, this is so easy and a standard feature; this is silly.

Sonar offers the choice of the MIDI tracks being controlled by the Aria sliders, or being controlled by Sonar's track sliders. As far as I can tell, Reaper doesn't appear to offer this or, at least, if it does I've not found it nor any how-to including in the Reaper forums.

However, you can render/bounce each indivividual MIDI track to audio (File/Render) then open a new Reaper score and import each audio file so you have a standard DAW audio score each track controlled by its own slider.

In fact, this is exactly how most of us work anyway. We start with a MIDI score and edit as needed: change or insert notes, edit tempo and tempo changes, edit velocities, note-curves, humanize, add/edit after-effects etc.

Then we bounce the MIDI tracks to audio to complete mixing: balance, pan, dynamics, EQ, reverb etc. Then, finally, mixing down to stereo.

Of course it's important to save the MIDI score in case further editing becomes necessary. In the case of Sonar, we can hide tracks and this is what Randy does. After bouncing MIDI to audio, he then hides all his MIDI tracks so he just has his audio tracks score. I tend to save my MIDI scores first before bouncing to audio tracks and then save my audio scores separately.

In the other forums, we had Dan, a gifted professional audio engineer who gave us all much advice and several video tutorials. Randy is also a highly experienced and knowledgeable audio engineer both invaluable.

Of course, I can't close without aknowledging that there are those who work just through MIDI and that's fine. Anyway, I hope there is something to help here Steve.

Heck .. I do wish Dan and Randy were here .. HELP! :)

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm

thanks michael, yeah it helps. The amount of information randy and you have supplied over the years is staggering, every time I type keywords in for questions, I see something you guys posted like 5 years ago, and that information continues to help new users. Part, maybe more, of my issue is I've always been a live player, and never had the opportunity to understand midi, so now I'm paying for it I guess. It is a true statement, that reaper and the aria player is problematic, however, maybe I'm just overlooking something. All I'm trying to do is import midi files, and edit the channels in reaper. We'll see.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:18 pm

OK, it took me sometime to get all 16 channels routed, and use Reaper DAW as intended. Then, I had to ask the inevitable question, how to use 2 instances of the aria player in Reaper. My year long goal has been, learn finale with garritan libraries, export as midi files, and mix and master within reaper daw. Finally today, I have 2 instances of the aria player working as they should, using total 19 channels. I felt it my duty to provide the link to "using 2 instances of the aria player in Reaper ". http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150203
I started a link first using a single instance of the player in sept. When I first tried to figure out how to do this, there was little information I found online. Now, there's a complete record of the process.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello, I am having problems with a particular file, if anyone sees this please visit this thread
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150203
Look from post #30 on.
Thank you.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby JennyJac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Steve,

I've been following your Reaper thread, and like you learning VSTi multiple instances. I personally still can't follow the Matrix well enough to assess your pics of that, though I can follow most of Tod's replies.

For me, once I'd learnt how to set up 1 VSTi manually, track by track, adding the 2nd VSTi was easy, Having 40-odd tracks - though cumbersome to view - was no more complex than the first VSTi instance was.

You might want to try this - push aside the creative impulse for a day (I know how hard that is) and make a new, empty project, to learn the manual, basic routing.

Don't look at the Matrix :)

So - no tracks.

Create - manually, ie not by "Insert VSTi" - one track, call it ARIA 1, and add an empty Aria Player as Fx. Turn on Monitoring (the green "arrow" button).
In the track's I/O, turn OFF Master Output. NO hardware sends.
Load 1 instrument into Slot 1. Check Output Channel is 1/2.

Create a 2nd track.
Call it <1 midi Aria A. Turn OFF Master Output. NO hardware sends. Make its Input "All MIDI, All channels". In its I/O, make a send to ARIA. Make this send Audio-None. MIDI - All - 1.

Create a 3rd track.
Call it 1 AUDIO Aria A. In its I/O, make a receive from ARIA. Make this receive AUDIO 1/1 - 1/2. MIDI - none. Set Input for this track (Track 3) to Stereo, or Left/Right, or whatever you have for audio input.

Set its "Record" to "Output". (Weird, that. But as the ARIA output for Track 2 will be going INTO this, its Audio track, that sound is apparently the Output of Track 3).

See if this helps understand the basics. Hope I've got it right - from memory - and sorry if I've repeated some things you already know well.
Jacos

JennyJac

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Thank you, Jacos. I Have had several revelations the last week, and Tod has been so nice. I am moving between different tasks, and only now am starting to get it. As anyone knows, it is very difficult to understand, but as Michael said many months ago, I am glad I have gone through the learning curve and now have an understanding how to proceed. Right now, I am going back though a years worth of compositions and remixing and learning eq and other tricks of the trade. Then I compare before daw and after, and it's starting to pay off. The reaper people have been great, as well as this forum (michael,randy,Jacos). I Will read and try your approach sometime here when I move on. The Deal is, I use pm2011, and only have 24 staves, so really all I can compose for is about 20 instruments, as I am using the simple entry method. Thanks for your post.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby JennyJac » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Steve. Yes, Tod is great isn't he. Wish he lived next door :)

I don't use notation myself. I CAN read/write it, but only slowly.

I've just done the above myself, and have some corrections, in case you do try it.

1. In the above, "Aria 1" = "Aria A" - To avoid confusion with TRACK numbers, I decided to call the first instance "Aria A", rather than "Aria 1" (so the 2nd instance of Aria, in due course, would be "Aria B" )

2. I doubt the Monitor button needs to be On for the Aria track. I meant that for the other tracks. But in fact I've just found Monitor doesn't need to be on at all to hear the output from a midi file in the track. I guess Monitor is just for hearing while recording/playing?

3. Track 3 - "Make this receive AUDIO 1/1 - 1/2" should read "1/2 - 1/2".
NB -Also, adjust the vol fader for this receive (mine opened set at no volume by default)

I've just done the above, made a new MIDI item in Track 2 (<1 midi) and jotted a few notes in in MIDI editor (so as not to get distracted by turning on my piano or hearing actual music :), and it works.

I SEE playback output in the fader of Track 1 ("ARIA A, or Aria 1"), but sound is only coming from Track 3, ("1 Audio Aria A"). As it should be. Then I can do what I want with that sound, eg automate it, add Fx to track, sending to an Fx bus, etc.

If I record-arm Track 2 ("1 Audio Aria A") , and press record, the playback from Track 1 (the midi file) is recorded in Track 2. Having done that, I also have the option to use volume/pan automation and Fx directly on each audio ITEM in the track. I love that bit.

Like you, I've learned so much from the Reaper forum and elsewhere since - in my case - June. MIDI fundamentals and usage, how to use the settings and functions of my piano/MIDI controller, ARIA (my first sampler), Reaper, routing, and - to be honest - some audio hardware and software basics. And it goes on ...the more I learn the less I know.

But like you I feel ready to move ahead with composing now. And this time, (as opposed to earlier attempts over the years) hopefully, I will be able to let fly with the ideas and bring them to some sort of completion, at least to my own satisfaction.
Best of luck
Jacos

JennyJac

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:00 am

Aria Tut Working.gif
Kastra's Aria player in reaper tutorial
Aria Tut Working.gif (2.44 MB) Viewed 7042 times

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 am

I am reposting Kastra's .GIFF file, and I will be back and make some statements regarding the .GIFF

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Previous