MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

CPO Renaissance Organ

Music and technology related discussion

CPO Renaissance Organ

Postby TomcatToo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 am

Back in early June I bought CPO and just now got around to trying out all the registrations. When I tried the registrations inside the Renaissance Organ I found they aren't full 61 key and are missing the bottom end; some only go down to middle C and some go an octave lower and one or two go to the A or G below that. I bought the download version and I'm wondering if it is corrupted or if this is really the way it was put out and if it was put out that way I'm really disappointed. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
Tom

TomcatToo

Re: CPO Renaissance Organ

Postby Derrek » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Don't know about the CPO, but some organ stops (on real organs) do not cover the full range of the keyboard(s). Does the documentation give you any help with this?

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:31 am

Hi Tom,

Sadly, I believe that the original instrument, from which it was sampled, only has four octave keyboards. This, apparently, is not unusual with Renaissance instruments. It was only during the baroque period (I believe) that the consoles expanded to multiple 5 octave keyboards, the range of stops was dramatically increased and pedalboards were added.

So what you're getting here is the sound of the authentic thing, unextended.
There's some information about the original on page 59 of the manual.

After some research:

There's more info. too on the sonus paradisi web site.
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/early-and-small-instruments/smecno.html#!/cat_tabs_history_tabbed. You'll see the keyboard is less than 4 octaves!

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby TomcatToo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks, John. That is very interesting historical info on the organ.

I was a church organist for 18 years (not very good but adequate) and I now have a little bedroom studio with an Oxygen 49 keyboard and I wanted some organ sounds to be able to play through my old organ repertoire of hymns and contemporary songs in real time. I expected all of the organ stops to be at least 4 octaves capable and I was obviously wrong but there is enough in the collection to be useable so it is not a total loss. It was cheap at only $99 so I'll just move on.

Thanks again,
Tom

TomcatToo

Postby briff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 am

You can extend the range of the organ by changing the SFZ files in Notepad:
e.g. look for "Ren Stopped Flutes.sfz" and "Ren Stopped Flutes Mappings.sfz"
files. There you will find "region"-s.
Just change the lokey=45 to lokey=32 and voila.

briff