MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Triggering sounds with keyboard

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Triggering sounds with keyboard

Postby ditto » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Still getting acquainted with Garritan. (It'll be lovely when I get over the initial stuff and can actually start making some music.) Using the GUI keyboard, I can trigger sounds from any of the instruments loaded into the interface - just switch the active instrument light, and everything's good. But using my keyboard to trigger sounds (AxiomPro49), I can't trigger anything except the first instrument loaded into the interface. Shouldn't I be able to trigger anything from the keyboard? Is it a MIDI channel assignment thing? I'm very vague about that. Until now, I've only used my keyboard with VSTis.

ditto

Re: Triggering sounds with keyboard

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi, Ditto

I have the basic info you need:

ditto wrote:...Using the GUI keyboard, I can trigger sounds from any of the instruments loaded into the interface - just switch the active instrument light, and everything's good. But using my keyboard to trigger sounds (AxiomPro49), I can't trigger anything except the first instrument loaded into the interface. Shouldn't I be able to trigger anything from the keyboard? Is it a MIDI channel assignment thing? I'm very vague about that. Until now, I've only used my keyboard with VSTis.

Working backwards - ARIA is a VSTi. But what you've described is using ARIA in standalone mode, and things are much more limited that way. What you want to do is open ARIA in your music software - Finale, or DAW software - whatever you use. Once you've done that, you'll be able to play all the separate instruments using your keyboard.

That's only the beginning of a full answer - I'm not sure how much you know about the rest, using a virtual instrument and so forth. Come back with more info, starting with what program you're using ARIA in - I do see you say you're confused about MIDI Channels. The basic answer to that is that each instrument loaded in ARIA has to be on its own MIDI Channel - 1 through 16 are available per instance of ARIA.

Come back with more info - We'll try to reply in a way that doesn't overwhelm with TMI too fast.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby ditto » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Randy - Thanks for helping - I appreciate it.

I'm using Reaper 64 to play VSTis. I load GPO into, for example, the first two tracks of Reaper and choose the flute and harp ensemble, highlighting the flute for Track 1 and the harp for Track 2. It doesn't matter if I select All Channels for the MIDI input or Channel 1 for the flute track and Channel 2 for the harp track - I get the problem I described in my first post and only flute sounds are triggered by the keyboard (although the Garritan keyboard plays them correctly).

ditto

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:34 pm

ditto wrote:Hi Randy - Thanks for helping - I appreciate it.

I'm using Reaper 64 to play VSTis. I load GPO into, for example, the first two tracks of Reaper and choose the flute and harp ensemble, highlighting the flute for Track 1 and the harp for Track 2. It doesn't matter if I select All Channels for the MIDI input or Channel 1 for the flute track and Channel 2 for the harp track - I get the problem I described in my first post and only flute sounds are triggered by the keyboard (although the Garritan keyboard plays them correctly).

Hello again, Ditto -

OK, you use Reaper. I don't use that, but I can describe how it works in Sonar that I use. All DAW programs are pretty much the same, so hopefully you'll be able to suss out what to do in Reaper based on what I'm saying about Sonar:

--I ask to insert ARIA. A pop-up asks if I want a single audio track, or all 16. I prefer the latter, so choose that.

--ARIA is now in my Synth Rack, and in my Track View I have 16 audio tracks and only one MIDI track. The default assignment for that MIDI track is MIDI Channel One.

--I load the Flute and Harp ensemble. By default, the Flute is assigned to MIDI Channel One, the Harp to MIDI Channel Two. That can be confirmed by looking at ARIA, and in the info under each instrument name, on the far right I can see the MIDI Channels - "01" is assigned to the Flute, "02" is assigned to the Harp. By default they're also both assigned to "1/2," which is only the first stereo audio out from ARIA. More on that later.

--I need two tracks for playing that ensemble, so now I insert a second MIDI track and assign it to ARIA, MIDI Channel Two.

--My keyboard is set to transmit on MIDI Channel One. That's critical.

--Now when I click on the first MIDI track, when I play the keyboard, the Flute plays. When I click on the second MIDI track, the Harp plays.

--"Advanced user" info - I much prefer to have as much control over my sound as possible, so in ARIA, I click the Harp's 1/2 and choose 3/4 in the list. That makes the sound from the Harp come through the second track that Sonar inserted when I inserted ARIA in the project. If I fill up the entire ARIA, I will use all of the audio outs, all 16 of them, which are labeled "1/2" through "31/32"--one number for each side of each stereo pair.

It's possible you don't have your keyboard sending out what you need. Try setting it to Channel one, and doing the Reaper version of what I've outlined.

EDIT: And it's very possible that when you inserted the second MIDI track, you didn't change it to channel 2.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:24 pm

ditto wrote:Still getting acquainted with Garritan. (It'll be lovely when I get over the initial stuff and can actually start making some music.) Using the GUI keyboard, I can trigger sounds from any of the instruments loaded into the interface - just switch the active instrument light, and everything's good. But using my keyboard to trigger sounds (AxiomPro49), I can't trigger anything except the first instrument loaded into the interface. Shouldn't I be able to trigger anything from the keyboard? Is it a MIDI channel assignment thing? I'm very vague about that. Until now, I've only used my keyboard with VSTis.

When I use Garritan sounds, whilst I'm practising the keyboard, first of all I use the standalone ARIA player. It just seems easier.

Then I load different instruments into the first few slots, e.g. piano in 1, harpsichord in 2, organ in 3, etc.

I set the MIDI transmit channel on the AN1x keyboard to channel 1, set local off (so I don't hear the synth), and play the piano. Then I set the MIDI transmit channel to 2 and play the harpsichord. Then 3 and the organ, and so on
Of course if I want several organ stops to 'speak' simultaneously, then I set their MIDI receive channel, within ARIA, to the same channel, in this example, 3.

Any help?
Regards,
JohnG.

Last edited by SysExJohn on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby ditto » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, assigning different keyboard channels to different instruments solved one big problem - how to trigger all of the sounds I want from the keyboard! Thank you. I've spent the last day over at the Reaper forum getting help with routing 16 instruments in Reaper. I think I'm closing in on it.

You know, it used to be just me and the nylon string guitar, writing songs and singing them. Then I got a bright idea: I should record them. Now it's all computers and overdubs and VSTi's and mixing and mastering, and one *** thing to learn after another. If it wasn't for the fact that soon my tunes will be basking in layers of strings and winds, I'd just reach for the guitar and go back to playing tunes. Maybe I should have stuck with the guitar. :-)

Thanks, John.

ditto