MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Some function issues with the Forum

Some function issues with the Forum

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I appreciate Fred telling us on the "Needing to constantly log on" thread that there have been some improvements. The Search Box is no longer cut off, and the logging on problem has been fixed.

I'm starting this new thread to draw attention to things that seem to me still need fixing, even though some of what I'm saying here has already been posted in messages buried in the "Log on" thread:

As I said in my reply on that thread, I don't see how the ""breadcrumb" navigation has been fixed as Fred says it has been.

There's no "breadcrumb" link at bottom of page. You have to scroll back up at the top and choose "Garritan" to get to the Forum's front page again. That's awkward, and shouldn't be necessary. The Forum jump is only for going to separate sections of the Forum, and so far is something I haven't needed to use. What we need, right there in the same area as the menu, is a "Return to Forum" link which takes us back to the front page of the Forum where we can see all the topics listed.

Notifications have been working, but as of yesterday, I'm no longer getting notifications for new threads. I was surprised to visit the Forum and see that two new threads had been started that I hadn't gotten emails about.

EDIT: Forgot an item earlier - Getting a new notification for an existing thread reminded me - When we use an email link, the second one in the message (not the pointless first one) that takes us to the thread at the Forum, but not to the new message. We have to click page numbers and keep scrolling to get to the new message. The email link should take us to the specific new post, not just the thread.

We need a "Link" item in the menu above texts boxes. "URL" just puts the URL tags on an address, but an address with an http tag becomes a working link without the tag, so that URL button isn't serving any purpose. To produce nice looking posts that use text or an image as the linkable area in a post, without the naked URL code hanging out, here's what we're having to do:

1) Paste in the URL.

2) With the address highlighted, click the URL tool.

3) Erase the first closed bracket at the end of the first URL tag and replace it with an equals sign.

4) Go to the end of the address and add an end bracket.

5) After the end bracket inserted in #4, type in the text we want to have displayed.

6) Be sure the closing URL bracket is still directly following the text in #5.

That's a bit of editing that a lot of users won't want to bother doing. If we had a "Link" button which does the coding for us, and provides a pop-up, then the process would be simple. The process would be.

1) Type text we want to link and highlight it.

2) Click the Link button.

3) In the pop-up triggered by the Link button, paste in the address.

That's easy, intuitive, and the results are linkable text. If we want an image to be the link to a URL, we simply select that instead.

I haven't used an image as a link yet here at the MM Forum, but I'm assuming it could be done by pasting in the URL for the photo, clicking IMG, as well as doing the other editing described above.

I'm sure a lot of what we're seeing on the Forum is just the default settings for the site's software program used - (an English or European program, I see, since it says "colour" for choosing text color - just an observation) - Maybe it isn't easy to re-do the programming for things like the text formatting tools. Maybe it would involve pasting code in from another source - I know the VBulletin code has the "Insert" tool I'm talking about.

But it would be great if these things could be implemented/fixed. The formatting tools currently available for our posts is a bit primitive.

One more item - I can't find how we give fellow Forum members "Reputation" points. I see some people are adding those, but I don't know how--?

Randy
  • 1

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
User avatar
rbowser
 
Posts: 494
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 50
Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 am

Hi Randy,

I've replied to the "reputation" question in the reputation thread.
Use the thumbs up button.
Regards,
John.
  • 1

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn
 
Posts: 245
Joined: December, 2013
Location: Betelgeuse, shoulder of Orion.
Reputation: 21
Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:07 am

SysExJohn wrote:Hi Randy,

I've replied to the "reputation" question in the reputation thread.
Use the thumbs up button.
Regards,
John.

Thank ye, John.

And - good to see you here!

Randy
  • 0

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
User avatar
rbowser
 
Posts: 494
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 50
Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 am

rbowser wrote:I appreciate Fred telling us on the "Needing to constantly log on" thread that there have been some improvements. The Search Box is no longer cut off, and the logging on problem has been fixed.

As I said in my reply on that thread, I don't see how the ""breadcrumb" navigation has been fixed as Fred says it has been.

EDIT: Forgot an item earlier - Getting a new notification for an existing thread reminded me - When we use an email link, the second one in the message (not the pointless first one) that takes us to the thread at the Forum, but not to the new message. We have to click page numbers and keep scrolling to get to the new message. The email link should take us to the specific new post, not just the thread.


Randy


Hey Randy-

Breadcrumb navigation was initially broken in the sense that the hyperlinks in the crumbs weren't active- this had the effect that one couldn't navigate back to, for example, "Troubleshooting" from a topic within that sub-forum. That's the issue that's been fixed. I will pop in a request to duplicate the crumbs to the bottom of the page as you are describing.

The other issue in the quote from above- about the link in the email should be sorted. The first link in the email (hopefully not pointless!) should be the one that takes you to the newest post in the thread. It should link to the anchor of the newest post. Let me know if this isn't working for you.

Cheers!

Fred
  • 0

Fred @ MakeMusic
 
Posts: 40
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 3

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 am

rbowser wrote:
We need a "Link" item in the menu above texts boxes. "URL" just puts the URL tags on an address, but an address with an http tag becomes a working link without the tag, so that URL button isn't serving any purpose. To produce nice looking posts that use text or an image as the linkable area in a post, without the naked URL code hanging out, here's what we're having to do:

1) Paste in the URL.

2) With the address highlighted, click the URL tool.

3) Erase the first closed bracket at the end of the first URL tag and replace it with an equals sign.

4) Go to the end of the address and add an end bracket.

5) After the end bracket inserted in #4, type in the text we want to have displayed.

6) Be sure the closing URL bracket is still directly following the text in #5.

That's a bit of editing that a lot of users won't want to bother doing. If we had a "Link" button which does the coding for us, and provides a pop-up, then the process would be simple. The process would be.

1) Type text we want to link and highlight it.

2) Click the Link button.

3) In the pop-up triggered by the Link button, paste in the address.

That's easy, intuitive, and the results are linkable text. If we want an image to be the link to a URL, we simply select that instead.

I haven't used an image as a link yet here at the MM Forum, but I'm assuming it could be done by pasting in the URL for the photo, clicking IMG, as well as doing the other editing described above.

I'm sure a lot of what we're seeing on the Forum is just the default settings for the site's software program used - (an English or European program, I see, since it says "colour" for choosing text color - just an observation) - Maybe it isn't easy to re-do the programming for things like the text formatting tools. Maybe it would involve pasting code in from another source - I know the VBulletin code has the "Insert" tool I'm talking about.

But it would be great if these things could be implemented/fixed. The formatting tools currently available for our posts is a bit primitive.

One more item - I can't find how we give fellow Forum members "Reputation" points. I see some people are adding those, but I don't know how--?

Randy


Hey Randy-

I will submit the "Link" request over to the team!

cheers

Fred
  • 1

Fred @ MakeMusic
 
Posts: 40
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 3

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 am

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:...Breadcrumb navigation was initially broken in the sense that the hyperlinks in the crumbs weren't active- this had the effect that one couldn't navigate back to, for example, "Troubleshooting" from a topic within that sub-forum. That's the issue that's been fixed.

Well, that's still not working for me, Fred.

The "Jump to" menu at the bottom of the page - You're on a section of the Forum, using your Troubleshooting example. In the menu, Troubleshooting has already been pre-selected but you can't choose it. It's not active or available, you can only choose the other sub-Forums.

At Northern Sounds, there's active linked text above the menu box, "Return to Forum" - that returns the user back to the front page of that particular Forum. Maybe that has to be used, if it's not possible to make the jump box work this way.

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:...The other issue in the quote from above- about the link in the email should be sorted. The first link in the email (hopefully not pointless!) should be the one that takes you to the newest post in the thread. It should link to the anchor of the newest post. Let me know if this isn't working for you...


That's fixed! No longer "pointless"-- That's a big improvement. Great, Fred!

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:...I will submit the "Link" request over to the team!...

Great! I think that would be a very useful thing to have.

Regarding email notifications, it does seem that I'm not getting emails about new threads, only for new posts on already existing threads. I'll see what happens with that today.

And now that I understand the Thumbs Up/Reputation connection - gotta give you Big Thumbs Up for all your help on these things, Fred. Thanks.

Randy
  • 0

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
User avatar
rbowser
 
Posts: 494
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 50
Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: Some function issues with the Forum

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks Randy!

Looked at the "Jump To" drop down functionality- I think I understand; It doesn't jump...I passed it on to the team-
  • 0

Fred @ MakeMusic
 
Posts: 40
Joined: December, 2013
Reputation: 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron