MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

film music

Everything else

film music

Postby Shane » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:56 am

My name is Shane and I am wondering if the people in this forum may be able to help steer me in the direction. I am a amateur musician and would like to do more composing but I don't know how to get it looked at for consideration of use in films, tv, video games or ...... Where do people throw their hat into the ring? I am (not) looking to do this full time so I am not looking to make a living, just want to use my creative outlet and maybe make some money on the side. Any ideas are welcome. I use finale with garritan of course and love to write for orchestra instruments but also have a rock and jazz background.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Shane

Re: film music

Postby Tom Davis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 pm

There are a number of sites where independent directors are looking for music for indie flms and videos. That would probably be your best bet. Google "indie films" and see what you can find.

Tom

Tom Davis

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello Shane : I have been using finale 2011 with 2 Garritan libraries for 2 years, and my goal is like yours. Initially, after a lot of help in this forum, and reaper forum, I was able to write using simple entry method, and export midi files and mix in Reaper DAW. I spent 18 months to write enough material to release an album. The film forums and vsti forums are packed with very experienced virtual composers. When I started, I thought I'd be making fried chicken commercials within a couple of months. I found fierce competition, people begging to score student films for free. I heard a lot of great renderings, and some not so great. I have gained a lot of satisfaction being able to produce music in this fashion, but unable to find a film maker to work with. I have come close a couple of times. I did score for one fellow in Manhattan who had an arts company, and I would propose incidental music, which he said was good. The fellow moved to Florida and never released the film. Which was ok, albeit disappointing, I did finish the project. Look at studentfilms.com and see what I mean, lots of composers, little requests for opportunity. I found Mandy.com lists possibilities. Anyway, keep trying, and good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby bFooz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Don't know if on-topic but for those looking for some easy-to-use learning materials, I can recommend this site http://alexanderpublishing.com/

bFooz