MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Using Garritan Instruments Live

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Using Garritan Instruments Live

Postby Rob Parish » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 pm

I have Garritan Ultimate collection and used it via Aria Player within Cubase for recording purposes. However, I want to use these excellent sounds in a live environment. I use Apple's MainStage software and want to know if any member has a solution as to how this can be done (if at all). Any ideas?

Rob Parish

Re: Using Garritan Instruments Live

Postby rbowser » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Rob Parish wrote:I have Garritan Ultimate collection and used it via Aria Player within Cubase for recording purposes. However, I want to use these excellent sounds in a live environment. I use Apple's MainStage software and want to know if any member has a solution as to how this can be done (if at all). Any ideas?

Hi, Rob - I'd never heard of "MainStage," so went a-Googling for info. I found tons of pages and PDFs explaining how to use MS - it looks fun. Since you own and use it, you know it comes with a huge amount of instruments and sounds. But you can also use additional software instruments:

"You can use MainStage with other MIDI controllers, including sustain pedals, ... hardware synthesizers, ReWire applications, and other software instruments."

So I think that answered my primary question - whether or not the user could use instruments outside of those already included.

I also think your manual should have all the info you need of how to start triggering instruments loaded in ARIA - It would be the same as for any other software synth. - So, I think you just need to dig into the info!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Rob Parish » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks Randy.
Just one question.....I run MacBook Pro......should all Garrison sounds be held within the applications folder to work with Aria? In other words, if I put them elsewhere, am I likely to have problems?

Rob Parish

Postby rbowser » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Rob Parish wrote:Thanks Randy.
Just one question.....I run MacBook Pro......should all Garrison sounds be held within the applications folder to work with Aria? In other words, if I put them elsewhere, am I likely to have problems?

You mean you moved the sample pool after you installed? If so, yes that would cause a problem. Let the Garritan Libraries be installed to the default locations that are used by the installer - I've seen users get very balled up when they try to change things. It can be done, but let's say it's something for "advanced users" to do.

And if you don't know how to use additional soft synths with this MainStage program, then of course you need to bone up on that.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626