MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Cannot Open GPO 4 .aria file in GPO 5

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Cannot Open GPO 4 .aria file in GPO 5

Postby PianoBench » Thu May 05, 2016 7:50 pm

I have a lot of .aria files defined for various MIDI files. For years, I have been able to open these files in Aria player on both Mac and PC with an installation of GPO 4.

Now that I have upgraded to GPO 5 on my Mac, Aria Player 1876 reports a list of instrument errors when I try to open one of these files. The individual errors read like this:

ARIA Player Error
Instrument
Standard/1. Woodwinds/1. Flutes/Flute Plr1 from bank: 2000 was not found!

However, I have no trouble locating that same instrument within Aria Player where I can find it in the normal location (now renamed as Personal Orchestra 5 at the top level).

One of my customers (who purchased some of our MIDI files) reports a similar error with GPO 5 on Windows.

Is there a way to convert GPO 4 .aria files to GPO 5? Seems like a pretty basic issue.

Thanks,
George

PianoBench

Re: Cannot Open GPO 4 .aria file in GPO 5

Postby SysExJohn » Fri May 06, 2016 8:16 am

O-oh!
Actually, you're supposed to save your home built ensembles using the save procedure in 'ensembles' and as an ariax file. (I think it says that in the manual.) Then they do port over from GPO4 to GPO5 successfully.
The only aria file I have is a default one for presetting the reverb and upping the memory usage to a gigabyte. And that loads okay in ARIA 1.872.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Trumpet7 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:14 pm

In my GPO 4 installation, the samples were located at:

...Garritan/Personal Orchestra 4/Samples

In GPO 5, they added another folder: :evil:

...Garritan/Personal Orchestra 5/Samples/GPO5_Samples

The .aria files use a relative path, so now they can't find the original files. I tried editing an aria file in Notepad, but it is not a text format. I might try moving the folders around a bit, but that will probably keep it from finding the new files. Maybe there is a place to tell it where the files are, but I haven't found it yet.

Is there a utility of some sort to convert GPO 4 to GPO 5 aria files?

Trumpet7

Postby Derrek » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:55 pm

My Aria player has no trouble accessing both GPO and GPO 5 from the same player. I used the standard installation. Are you sure your installation was not corrupted, that you have the most recent Aria player(s), and that you have authorized both the GPO and GPO 5 files?

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7