MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Ensemble problems again

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Ensemble problems again

Postby lawman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Sorry to go over this again but I have searched everywhere and tried all the things that I know and still cannot get ensembles to play in either standalone or PT. All I get is the first instrument and I have tried running all the ensemble instruments in OMNI and all in the same MIDI channel e.g. 1 but to no avail.

I run PT12.4 and have downloaded GPO5. I also run a lap top and a desk top system but the problem is the same with both computers so I realise that it is my dumbness.

In addition GPO5 won't load as a PT plug in on my desk top as I get an error 14018. It runs as a standalone no worries except for my ensemble problem.

How do I route the MIDI so that I can get all the instruments of an ensemble to trigger at the same time and what is an error 14018.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

lawman

Re: Ensemble problems again

Postby Derrek » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:05 am

PT12.4 is Pro Tools, right?

Pro Tools must have the ability to send different tracks on different MIDI channels, which would be required to realize the different slots of the Aria player/plug-in.

I know this works in Sonar and wish I knew more about the Pro Tools interface so I could give you more specifics.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby lawman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Derrek,

Yes PT is pro tools.

But how do I set the MIDI channels in standalone mode when it is not running in PT?

And why won't it even start in PT because I get the error 14018 message?

Thanks

Frank

lawman

Postby Derrek » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:26 pm

The Avid web site lists only the Garritan Piano as an add-on, although you might be able to access Garrtian sounds via the Plogue sfz engine.

By default each "slot" of the Aria player is assigned to its corresponding MIDI channel, but you can click on the channel indication (see diagram) and us the pull-down list to change the channel of any slot.

I could not see on the Avid web site how one assigns instruments to appear in the Pro Tools instrument list (in the leftmost column); so I cannot help you with that end of the equation.

Attachments
midiChannelsTemp.png
Chg MIDI Channels via "pull-down" list
midiChannelsTemp.png (46.23 KB) Viewed 5388 times
Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby lawman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks Derrek,

I have changed the MIDI channels so that they are all the same, and also tried OMNI, but it makes no difference although I can play each individual instrument when I highlight it but cannot play more than one instrument in an ensemble at the same time. All the instruments can be on channel one or two or whatever but they will not trigger together.

What am I missing?

Frank

lawman

Postby Derrek » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 am

Can you post an image (screenshot) showing how (some of) your Aria instrument tracks are set up/appear in PT?

What does PT look like behind the track screen, where you define each instrument. If PT only allows one instrument for each virtual synth, you may need a separate instance of Aria/Plogue sfz for each instrument. Also, if you chose Aria "multi" you need to be sure all your Aria outputs route to your active speakers.

I wish some Pro Tools guru would join this discussion. That person could probably clear this up in a jiffy. (You might try the Northern Sounds BBS to ask your question there in the hopes that some PT users will see it.)

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby lawman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:38 am

Derrek,

I have been able to get GPO5 to work in PT.

Once I sorted out how to get it to actually open as a plug in it was fairly simple to route. It routes the same way that I would setup Superior Drummer. I now get ensembles to play in PT which is great but I haven't quite figured out how to get ensembles to work in standalone.

One other thing is that the software keyboard will not trigger a full ensemble, only the midi controller keyboard does that.

So that is a good start and thanks for all your help.

Frank

lawman

Postby Derrek » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 am

Glad you got Aria to work w/ PT.
For Aria to play in standalone, you'd have Aria open a MIDI file with MIDI channels that correspond to your Aria slot & channel assignments. Not sure how you would cue Aria to play as part of a larger work.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7