MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Missing Sounds!

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Missing Sounds!

Postby BrownSugar » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:01 am

Hi I really hope someone on the forum can help me out (where I must be going wrong)!
I have Instant Orchestra installed on a Windows 10 laptop. My DAW is Sonar X1 and I am using a Focusrite Scarlett solo as external soundcard. My keyboard device is connected direct to the laptop via usb.

Device In & Out = Focusrite Scarlett ASIO
Asio control panel (default) = 44100 samples & 4096 buffer rate set.
Midi device M-Auio Keyboard = checked.

I open a new project and select Insert, soft synth, Garritan, Aria player Multi vst x86 (My Sonar X1 is the 32 bit version).
I choose "simple track" and click ok
In Aria one of my favorite Ensembles is the "Big Chord Score" in Moods. In this preset all 13 instruments transmit on midi channel 1. In Sonar's Track Inspector the midi keyboard is set to "Omni".
Now when I play my keyboard I can hear the full, thick complete orchestral sounds of this preset. It's magic! However the problem is when I record. The playback is never the same as what I heard during recording. It's like parts are missing or the midi didn't transmit correctly. The thing that is driving me nuts is that sometimes it does work! In standalone Aria plays absolutely fine. The issue is when I record.
The computer system is 16gb RAM with an i7 2.6 Ghz processor.
All drivers (audio) are up to date, not that it should be an issue as I'm using the external Focusrite solo.
Any help with any suggestions would be most helpful.
Many thanks Derek

BrownSugar

Re: Missing Sounds!

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:32 am

Just a quick thought, I'm no Sonar expert here, but I understand that the Sonar mixer controls will affect the levels within the VST instruments being played.

Or somehow, after recording, the channels get set to other than channel 1.
There again maybe the outputs of the multi are being routed to separate audio channels.

If you want all the instruments sounding together what I would do is NOT use the multi-ARIA but the standard version. Then you're guaranteed that they all go to one audio out.

Just some random thoughts.
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby BrownSugar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:09 am

Hi John,
Thanks for the advise. I'll give your suggestion a try and post back. I have been using the Multi-vst plugin, so perhaps using the regular vst will fix this. (I'm currently away and not able to check this at present). I also read on another forum that within Sonar properties, in MIDI, under Other Options, unchecking "zero controllers when play stops" cures certain ills!
It's definitely an issue with midi or there is a function in Sonar that is preventing the MIDI data being sent back to the ARIA Player properly.

Thanks for your help.

BrownSugar

Postby BrownSugar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 am

Just an update. Got back to my desk and tried the Aria player vst (not the multi) and also in Sonar X1 I navigated to Preferences > Project > MIDI > and unchecked "Zero controllers when play stops"

It would seem that presets in Moods works correctly now.....long may it last!

Thanks John for your input. I wonder why it wouldn't work otherwise? What does the Multi VST do that the other doesn't?

BrownSugar

Postby Derrek » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:40 am

The multi VST outputs each Aria slot to a separate stereo pair (16 in all) so you can route the instruments in different slots to different effects or mixes (for example).

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7