MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Using ensembles, each instrument its own track?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Using ensembles, each instrument its own track?

Postby cmotion » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello there fellow Garritanians! First day with the product, absolutely loving it so far. Sounds great, easy to get up and running with ideas. Now, I haven't done a whole lot with midi before this, so I'm sure it's something silly I'm missing. I am currently using Garritan Instant Orchestra as an instrument plugin in Pro Tools 12.4. I am able to load and play individual instruments, even add multiple instances of GIO on different instrument tracks. However, I am wondering if there is a way to open up a big ensemble and have the different tracks from the Aria player correspond to different tracks in Pro Tools. Again, I'm sure this is easy-peasy for some of you. I've tried setting up different midi tracks, messing with the ins and outs, but haven't found anything that works. Any help would be much appreciated!

-GIO Newb

cmotion

Re: Using ensembles, each instrument its own track?

Postby cmotion » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 pm

As a follow-up question... is there a reason some of the "Ensembles" (be it, Combos & FX or Mood), have all tracks set to Midi channel 1, and sometimes they're all separate midi channels, and then sometimes for example: the first 3 tracks will be set to midi channel 1, followed by Track 4 (midi channel 2), Track 5 (midi channel 3), etc?

cmotion

Re: Using ensembles, each instrument its own track?

Postby Credo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Quite a few IO patches are using 'layered' patches. This is why some of the sound slots have duplicate MIDI channels.

Layered means that more than one sound slot is triggered at the same time to get a blend of different patches/sounds.

Slots set to the same channel can all be triggered from a single track or stave in your DAW, Score Package, or live MIDI controller. Using this technique you can 'layer' sounds to create sections or special effects.

Slots that have a unique channel will require your DAW, Score Package, or Live Controller to dedicate a new track/stave/channel for each channel in your Aria instance.

With this in mind, it's possible to build up a 16 layer patch in a single Aria instance and have all 16 layers trigger with the same note input (I.E. An all stops pipe organ sounding 16 ranks at once....you could set all the slots to OM, or to the same MIDI channel).

It's also possible to have 16 independent (non layered) sounds loaded...each set to a unique MIDI channel (1 - 16) for totally independent multitimberal arrangements.

Most hosts will also allow you to have many instances of Aria loaded. If 16 channels is not enough for your arrangement, start a new instance and pile on another 16 instruments. Still need more? Load another instance....you can keep adding them as long as your computer is powerful enough (memory and speed).

Does this help clear things up?

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion