MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Windows 10- any problems forseen/encountered?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Windows 10- any problems forseen/encountered?

Postby KMFrye » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:23 pm

I compose in Finale 2012d using most of the Garritan instruments (GPO, JABB, WORLD) on a Windows 7 platform that's been kept up to snuff..

Now I have this "Get Windows 10" prompt on my taskbar, but I'm concerned.

Has anyone tested Garritan and Finale on 10 yet?

I'd hate to be out of business, or worse if I find myself going ahead with this... 7 should be good for another five years. Call me old-fashioned, but I still believe in the old "if it ain't broke...." axiom.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Re: Windows 10- any problems forseen/encountered?

Postby Derrek » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 am

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby KMFrye » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks, Derrek. I've subscribed to the page.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Postby Credo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Worth considering:

I've been burned over the years with major OS upgrades. They usually get sorted out within' a year or so, but there's almost always something that gets broken in the short term!

The number one gotcha in my experience is the hardware itself. If ALL of your hardware is new enough to have true Windows 8.1 drivers, then you're probably going to be safe. On the other hand, if you have anything hooked to the system that's older, and driver support is poor or non existent beyond Windows 7, then you could be in for trouble.

In my case, I've got several PCI sound cards that I've modded over the years, and are really really good! They might be OK with windows 10...but then again, they might not (PCI is considered legacy now...and who knows if Windows 10 supports it well). We also often run into quite a few scenarios where the old drivers themselves are fine, but the 'installers' just don't work on the new OS (probably a strike of luck, but one has to figure out how to extract the drivers from the archive and install them manually, along with whatever registry fun goes with that).

So....play it safe:
1. Get a nice new fresh hard drive. It should be the same size, or larger in capacity to your present system drive.

2. Use something like Norton Ghost, or one of the many free GPARTED distros to 'clone' your old drive partitions onto it.

3. Install your new drive, then try the upgrade.

If it breaks, you can always stick your original drive back in and go back to work, clean the 'new drive' and use it for other purposes. If it all works fine, you can use your old drive for backups and storage.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby Peter McLennan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm interested in this too. Unfortunately the link only talks about notation products, not GPO/Aria, and the GPO web page only mentions Windows up to 8.1.

Peter McLennan