MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Pitch bend being ignored by JABB

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Pitch bend being ignored by JABB

Postby Godfrey » Sun May 24, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm having trouble with pitch bend on JABB instruments. SONAR X3 is definitely recording the pitch bend information from my controllers, but it's not playing back properly in JABB.

If "Auto-Legato" is disabled in the Controls section, pitch bend has absolutely no effect whatsoever. If "Auto-Legato" is enabled, a single pitch bend effect during a note will play throughout the end of the note, but then pitch returns to normal for the next note. However, if more than one pitch bend event occurs while the note is playing, all of them are ignored.

This happens with all the JABB instruments that I've tried. But if I change the instrument in Aria to something from Garritan Personal Orchestra or Garritan World Instruments, all pitch bend data is played as expected.

I've tried playing around with the various instrument controls, but none of them have made a difference to the pitch bend interpretation.

What's going on, and how can I fix it?

Using: ARIA Player 1.111, ARIA Engine v1.605 (Win x86), Jazz and Big Band 3

Godfrey

Re: Pitch bend being ignored by JABB

Postby SysExJohn » Mon May 25, 2015 8:54 am

Hi Godfrey,

The first thing to do is to update your copy of ARIA, version 1.111 is out of date now.
You'll find version 1.620 by logging in to your account on the main Garritan web page.
Then select the "Support" tab. Scroll down and you'll find "Product Updates".
Click on "Download Product Updates".
Select Product Garritan and then Platform Windows or Mac.
You'll find the latest ARIA player there.

There is a later version of the ARIA "engine" available on the Plogue downloads page.
Plogue makes the ARIA player for Garritan and so updates are placed there occasionally.
You'll find a new update to the engine (1.8.2.2) here:
http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/

If that doesn't fix the problem then you should submit a "ticket" on the Garritan support page.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Godfrey » Mon May 25, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks, John, I'll give that a try. I had seen the 1.620 version, but the descriptions on the download page identified 1.111 as "The most current ARIA Player update for Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, Jazz & Big Band 3, Concert & Marching Band 2, and World Instruments." So I didn't want to install later versions in case they were no longer compatible with my GPO, JABB, and World Instruments libraries.

Playing around with it this morning before reading your reply, I discovered that if I created a new instance of Aria Player from scratch and set it up identically to the original instance, the problem no longer occurred when I set the tracks to play through the new instance. So it looks like something weird happened to the first instance, which was saved with the project state and persisted after reloads. (I've noticed similar weirdness happen occasionally with the Garritan Stradivarius and Gofriller libraries too, but they use the Kontakt player.)

Godfrey

Postby SysExJohn » Tue May 26, 2015 2:54 am

Hi Godfrey,
There seems to be a distinct lack of clarity on some things to do with the Garritan libraries these days. I'm pretty sure that the 1.620 is the appropriate version to use with all ARIA based libraries these days. Whether you need to update it with the latest engine is a matter of some conjecture.

Plogue has its own forum over at http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/index.php.
If you scroll down to the foot of the forum you'll find an ARIA section where related problems can be posed (remember they just make the player, they don't author the libraries) and even a little learnt about sfz, the underlying sample playing definition programming.

I've always found them incredibly quick to respond, usually within 24 hours during the week.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.