MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO 4 and solo tremolo/trill

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

GPO 4 and solo tremolo/trill

Postby wohali » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm hosting GPO 4 directly in Digital Performer. I have routed MIDI directly to the ARIA player. I've loaded the Violin 1 Solo KS patch.

When I select any of the keyswitches G#-B, and hold down a note, I don't hear the trills as I do in the string sections.

Is the intent that I actually play the half step trill by "machine gun" playing a single note, with the note release triggering the second note?

If this is the case, I'm noticing that for e.g. Violin 1 Solo KS, even if I pick the half step trill, I always get the whole step above the note played on note release. In other words, the result of the half-step trill keyswitch (A) is the same as the whole-step trill keyswitch (B). Is this a bug?

wohali

Software Owned:
Garritan Jazz & Big Band
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Steinway D
Garritan Yamaha CFX Concert Grand

Other:
MOTU Digital Performer (since 1989!)
MOTU MX4
MidiQuest Pro
Numerology 4
Plogue Chipsounds

Re: GPO 4 and solo tremolo/trill

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:35 am

Same here, in standalone mode.

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Re: GPO 4 and solo tremolo/trill

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:30 am

Hi Wohali,

To be honest I've never understood how these trills are supposed to work.
I've searched the manual without any joy.

Is there any one, I wonder who has got them working?
Regards,
John.

After examining the programming of both the solo strings and the sections, I find a significant difference in the sfz files and the samples.

The sections actually have recorded samples of trills which are triggered when playing a note.

The solo instruments don't have these trill samples. A note is played upon pressing a key (trigger=attack) another is played upon releasing the key (trigger=release).

So the two playing techniques are entirely different for solo compared to sections.
I wonder why? Maybe it's to allow greater flexibility in the solo instruments.
It's a bit like the problem with a fixed vibrato, much more flexibility would be appreciated.

The second problem you refer to (half step/whole step) sounds like a bug. I'll take a look at the sfz code and see if I can come up with a solution. Give me a few days.
-------------------
And further, I'm not getting the same problem.
Selecting 1/2 step trills (A) is definitely a semitone using the stand alone player, i.e. not within a DAW. Whole step trills (B) gives a tone, both up.

Boo-hoo, no baroque trills, down. :(
I'll have to set about rewriting the sfz programming to achieve this! :lol:
---------------------
And more, try setting the var 1 and var 2 controls at higher levels to get rid of the machine gun effect.
---------------------
Yet more, you will find a similar difference in the programming of the tremolo sections to that of solo strings.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.