MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Reaper, GPO Aria, Yamaha TG500 and Roland E70

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Reaper, GPO Aria, Yamaha TG500 and Roland E70

Postby housedad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:18 am

Three weeks of frustration have led me to post this as a final try at solving this.

I have a set up as per the attached diagram. I am able to get GPO Aria into Reaper, but it does not midi through to my keyboard and the keys do not depress when I play the keyboard so obviously there is a missing connection.

The TG500 plays fine however.

The old Roland does not have a USB but it has a beautiful tone.

By the way, the ultimate aim is to record the output with lower keyboard bass strings with Yamaha preset, solo violin in upper section to accompany the keyboard upper section piano and strings. Each instrument on the keyboard has its own individual midi settings.

Can this be achieved. I am willing to spend more money! But not more time in ignorance and just guessing. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks... John

Attachments
Diagram.jpg
Diagram.jpg (107.39 KB) Viewed 3700 times
housedad

Re: Reaper, GPO Aria, Yamaha TG500 and Roland E70

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 am

Hello: I suggest you post your question @ the reaper forum. It is very active, and reaper experts will quickly try to help you with your problem. I do not use a controller within reaper, so I can't comment on this particular problem. However, I spent about 4 months trying to properly assign midi tracks written in finale to the aria player in reaper. That thread is accusable here
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php? ... ria+player
The people in reaper, will help you get up and running quickly.
good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby housedad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:13 pm

I have, the info they gave me did not work and seeing as I am using Garritan, I thought I may find someone here. Thanks anyway.

housedad

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 am

Howdy Housedad,

Your problem, I believe, is down to your MIDI connections.

E70 MIDI out to TG500 in is fine, as you know, but TG500 MIDI out will be zero, nada, nothing, except for anything that is produced from within the TG500 itself. Not the MIDI data from the E70, anyway. Unless there is some way of programming the TG500 to forward the in to the out.

The original MIDI from the E70 (both channels 1 and 2 to 16) will automatically be repeated at the MIDI thru socket on the TG500. So remove the TG500 MIDI out plug and stick it in the thru socket on the TG500. That should then then go through the quad capture (I imagine can you can configure what gets sent to where in that?), up the USB cable and arrive at the computer.

You don't show the audio route out of the PC. I'm guessing that it is rerouted back to the Quad capture via USB for mixing with the other audio signals?

You might experience latency problems with this set up, with the sounds from the PC.
Latency is the time it takes the PC to generate the sounds internally and to stream the digital output through the DAC (digital to analogue converter).

It requires dedicated audio drivers, known as ASIO drivers, for the converter in the PC.
One then has to tune the drivers adjusting the number of 'buffers' and their size to get optimum performance. The target is to get the latency under 10 milliseconds. Over, and you will notice that you press a note and there is a slight pause before the sound emerges.
Ideally a latency of four or five milliseconds is unnoticeable.
However, whether you'll be able to achieve that using USB is subject to some doubt from me. USB has a transmission protocol that is not ideally suited to audio, but fine for printers and scanners, etc.

Let us know how you get on?
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby housedad » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 am

Many thanks. Have reconnected the MIDI in on the interface to the MIDI thru on the Yamaha TG500 and it plays perfectly thru Channel 1 to the E70.

Yes the connection to the interface is via the USB cable. I have ASIO drivers installed

Now I have to work out how to get the Garritan Violin to the upper section of the keyboard. If I can pull this off it will sound really nice but the GPO Aria is showing no signs of life at present in Reaper as I do not know what to do with that yet. I will keep reading however.

Thanks John.

housedad