MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Library Choices in Wizard

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Library Choices in Wizard

Postby wrayer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 am

I have all my Garritan libraries on my computer, but when I open the Finale 2014d wizard, I am not given a choice for those libraries. I only get the choice of MM Finale Libraries. I have to go into the Score Manager to select the Aria Engine and then the instruments I want to use. Have I missed something in the installation?

Here is what I see in the Wizard:
Library Choices.jpg
Library choices in Wizard
Library Choices.jpg (85.07 KB) Viewed 5366 times

Here is what I have installed on the computer:
Garritan Libraries.jpg
Installed Programs
Garritan Libraries.jpg (14.68 KB) Viewed 5366 times

Thanks,
Bill

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Re: Library Choices in Wizard

Postby Derrek » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 am

You have not missed anything. Finale's setup wizard lets you choose the instrument, not the sound nor the sound library source. You can smooth the process a little by ordering your libraries with the ones you use most at the top of the list via the Sound Map Priority in the MIDI/Audio menu, but for fine tuning you have to use the Score Manager.

AFAIK Finale does this to allow portability between different computers with different sound libraries installed. Needless to say, the more meticulous one is, the less one probably likes this. But as Walter Cronkite used to say at the end of each evening newscast, "That's the way it is."

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby greyfox73 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:06 pm

You know what I've been doing Bill? I've gone back to using the 2011 version to start a new file, which allows me to choose what libraries I want. Then I open it up in the 2012 version which I have. Make Music really messed with us when they decided "for us" that we didn't need to choose our own libraries, but defaulted to the default Garritan Instruments for Finale. It's a crazy workaround, but it saves me going through Score Manager and redoing everything all over again.

Gary A.

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 am

Well now, I really wish I could "go back" to Finale 11.
All I have is 12 and it's idiosyncrasies have really put me off using it.
Been looking for some while for a copy of 11 on ebay.
(I was 'sold' on 11 but could only buy 12. Why not? It must be better mustn't it?)

Oh well! Some you win, some you lose.

John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby wrayer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks guys. I was a programmer for a while. I taught basic and Pascal at the school where I taught. Of course if were blessed with even 500 bytes (not KiloBytes) we were in heaven. This was the late 70's and early 80's when I taught programming. Today, it seems like every new version is a re-created new with more doo-dads, then the previous. Doesn't seem that they look at what worked, but a what new and improved way they can make the users life more miserable. Oh well.

I like greyfox73's idea. That would simplify the process.

Thanks and good composing/arranging to you all.
Bill

William Rayer

We dream to write and we write to dream
Artist, Author, Arranger, Composer, Musician
http://wfrayer.wix.com/william-rayer
Member: Cleveland Composers Guild, ASCAP
Finale 2014 - GPO4 - JaBB
wrayer

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:15 am

I've been using 2011 pm, and it works great. I pondered upgrading, but didn't have a good reason to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've read in several forums where I think that was a good choice. The only thing that bugs me is I'm limited to 24 staves.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW