MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

how do you browse sounds?  <SOLVED>

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

how do you browse sounds?

Postby delboy007 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:49 am

I am using Cubase Elements 7 and Garritian Jazz plugin.

In cubase when I want to find a factory sound I load media bay and can filter to find out the instruments. That gives me a list and I can play each instrument until I find the one I want. How can I browse through all the instruments in the garritan sounds library? The only way I can see to do it is no load individually each instrument which seems a laborious way of doing it?

delboy007

Re: how do you browse sounds?  <SOLVED>

Postby Credo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 am

delboy007 wrote:I am using Cubase Elements 7 and Garritian Jazz plugin.

In cubase when I want to find a factory sound I load media bay and can filter to find out the instruments. That gives me a list and I can play each instrument until I find the one I want. How can I browse through all the instruments in the garritan sounds library? The only way I can see to do it is no load individually each instrument which seems a laborious way of doing it?

I'm afraid that your method of browsing the Garritan libraries through the Aria pop-up menus are indeed the only obvious method to browse the libraries.

You do get a pop up menu system that has instruments 'categorized' so they are pretty easy to find.

It is possible in many versions of CuBase (not sure about Elements...but you can try) to make VST Presets out of complete Aria or sforzando instances that can be stored and called up through the CuBase media manager. Just as an example, imagine you have an Aria Setup that you frequently use for a Jazz Combo.

You could create a CuBase VST preset. In this example I make one called, "Garritan Jazz Quintet".

vstpre1.png
vstpre1.png (264.81 KB) Viewed 2795 times

After having made such a preset, it is now in the CuBase media manager, and it can quickly be browsed, searched, etc, and called up as a track preset from within' CuBase.

vstpre2.png
vstpre2.png (173.75 KB) Viewed 2795 times

At this point using that preset from anywhere inside CuBase will call up a copy of your complete "Aria Instance", and load up your Jazz Quintet ensemble.

The point in my going to all the trouble to show this has to do with a fundamental difference between a VST Preset, which can be managed in the CuBase media Manager, and a SFZ defined instrument, which at this time isn't a format directly supported by CuBase (nor any of the Halion Engine stuff that is supported by the CuBase built in media management system).

Aria uses sfz defined instruments...and Aria keeps up with its own installed instrument Libraries. Aria also understands a lot of VST related commands that a host can pass along and tell it to 'load this instrument'. Unfortunately, CuBase doesn't know about the instruments available in Aria unless you tell it about them.

Actual Garritan audio samples are randomly encrypted raw data files (not every single sample is encrypted, but enough is altered in such a way that only Aria, with a valid registration key, can properly correct and play back all of the Garritan instruments).

In contrast, Steinberg's own HALion based instruments use a VST preset standard from the ground up (some older versions use CBX and such....but for the full 'integrated' CuBase/Nuendo feel...it's VST presets all the way). Purchased libraries for these formats even wrap the samples themselves into an encrypted VST container. This is why all of your HALion SE presets can be seen in the CuBase Media Manager right out of the box, while many of your third party plug-ins don't have listed patches. It also explains why no matter how hard you search...samples you KNOW have to exist somewhere for the HALion sounds just don't show up on the hard-drive in any obvious format (like wav or aif)!

If you're just wanting to get a 'quick list' of all of the sfz instruments in one of your Garritan Libraries....there are some methods to go about getting such a list. I'm a bit strapped for time right now, but I'll try to come back later and show how you can use some DOS or Windows tools to search your Garritan Libraries and compile such a quick list. CakeWalk users have been doing it for ages now to get a better 'glance worthy comprehensive handle' on what all is in their 'Dimension and Rapture' preset collection. It is a similar process for instruments intended to play in Aria and/or Sforzando.

Garritan does provide some rudimentary 'expression' maps for CuBase with some of their libraries. Those can be found by browsing through the actual hard disk directories of the Libraries and looking in the VSTexpression maps directory. They are generally loaded through one of the CuBase 'editors', and will require using the 'notation' version of instruments (prefixed with n- in their names). They are a decent start if you intend to do heavy 'score editing' in CuBase...but you'll probably want to 'tweak' them to personal tastes as you go...or even simply make your own.

Meanwhile,
Happy Sequencing,
Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: how do you browse sounds?

Postby Credo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06 am

delboy007 wrote:I am using Cubase Elements 7 and Garritian Jazz plugin.

I forgot to ask...what is your host Operating System? I.E. Windows XP, 7, 8, Mac, etc....
That way I can chart out an easy method to make a quick list of all of your Garritan sfz instruments.

With Windows 7 I'd just do something like this:
1. Locate the top Garritan directory with windows explorer (Probably somewhere like C:\Program Files\Garritan).

2. Put a search filter in the top right hand corner of the explorer window like *.sfz

3. Manipulate my list to my liking using the organization and style options of the windows explorer.

4. Save my search for future reference.

sfz-search.png
sfz-search.png (215.02 KB) Viewed 2789 times

or tinker with the search results organization/style options to get something more like this:
sfz-search2.png
sfz-search2.png (322.07 KB) Viewed 2788 times

I could also break it down into smaller searches by going a level deeper...I.E.
../Garritan/Jazz and Big Band 3
And then enter my search filter. That way I'd only see the instruments in the JABB3 library.

You'd still have to find and load them in Aria with it's menu system to audition them, but having a master 'list' of what all is in there might be a useful tool for you.

Just let me know more about your OS if you want more specific instructions...or even want a paper print out of some sort that is broken down into easier to find categories.

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: how do you browse sounds?

Postby delboy007 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 am

sorry for the delay in replying as I never got an email notification. Thanks for the excellent explaination which will be a great help

delboy007