MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

how do you edit a drum loop ?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

how do you edit a drum loop ?

Postby delboy007 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:14 am

I added a drum kit to aria and created a drum loop in cubase 7. If I mess up with one of the drums how to I go in and edit that drum? In the cubase key editor all I see is the last drum I recorded.

Needless to say I am a beginner

delboy007

Re: how do you edit a drum loop ?

Postby Credo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

delboy007 wrote:I added a drum kit to aria and created a drum loop in cubase 7. If I mess up with one of the drums how to I go in and edit that drum? In the cubase key editor all I see is the last drum I recorded.

Needless to say I am a beginner

It is difficult to offer much help without knowing more about the method you used to create the loop. There are so many ways to enter or record data in CuBase that it is imperative to give more information on the steps you took leading up to the problem you need solved.

A first 'best guess' would be that maybe different parts of your drum loop are scattered across 'different tracks', or 'versions of parts' that can get over-layed on top of one another depending on how you've set up CuBase to handle MIDI recording. Editors can only show you events in 'selected' parts and/or tracks.

For really tricky issues, screen-shots can also be useful in helping people understand and correct your problem. If you're not sure how to make those...and you use Windows, it's as simple as hitting the (prt sc) key (usually found somewhere near the top right area of a computer keyboard). That puts a copy of your screen in the windows image 'cut/paste' buffer. From there you can open whatever paint program you choose (Windows comes with a simple image editor called "Paint") and 'paste' your screenshot into an image. Save that as a jpg or png image that can be uploaded to your support forums.

In CuBase there are MANY ways to make and edit drum loops.
You can record them in real time, play them in with 'step input', or by drawing events right into an editor.

You can edit and create tracks and loops in several editors (key, traditional notation, drum-diamond grid, or list).

You also get with many versions of CuBase something called Groove Agent SE. Some versions of Groove Agent also have a simple drum track editor and pattern based sequencer.

If you are really new to working with a DAW, I'd suggest checking out the user tutorial videos that can usually be found in the 'Steinberg Hub' of CuBase. If you can't find the Hub in your version of CuBase, or it doesn't have one, try searching with your favorite web search engine for some videos to get you started. Just a quick example of some stuff you should be able to turn up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3DTPL3UNk4

Happy Sequencing,
Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby delboy007 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 am

I created the loop using Aria and the Garriton Jazz plugin. I loaded the jazz fusion drum kit which appears in one slot and created a drum loop in cubase from that. It seems to me that if the kit is outputted on a single channel to cubase that mixing the drum kit would have to be done in aria which then sends the mix to a single cubase track so I don't see how it can be edited in cubase. I get the immpression if you need to edit indivudal drums from that kit I would have to add individual drums to Aria and output them to different channels rather than loading a complete drum kit?

delboy007

Postby Credo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:28 am

delboy007 wrote:I created the loop using Aria and the Garriton Jazz plugin. I loaded the jazz fusion drum kit which appears in one slot and created a drum loop in cubase from that. It seems to me that if the kit is outputted on a single channel to cubase that mixing the drum kit would have to be done in aria which then sends the mix to a single cubase track so I don't see how it can be edited in cubase. I get the immpression if you need to edit indivudal drums from that kit I would have to add individual drums to Aria and output them to different channels rather than loading a complete drum kit?

While it is possible to make audio drum loops as wav or sfz files, load them into Aria, and trigger them with your midi-controller or sequencer, I'm not aware of these kinds of loops existing as part of the Garritan Jazz and Big Band sample Library.

If they have some other Garritan Jazz product that I'm not aware of, please pardon my ignorance on the topic...hopefully someone else can jump in and help out.

What JABB does provide in terms of drumming are General MIDI mapped 'drum kits' and some other individually mapped percussion instruments that can be triggered/played via midi events.

Your version of CuBase might have a collection of ready made MIDI drum loops that can be loaded to a CuBase track and played through an Aria drum kit. Your CuBase version might also have the Groove Agent PlugIn, which can come with, and make it easy to build a variety of jazz standard drum grooves and riffs (note, Groove Agent has its own drum sounds, so you wouldn't need Aria to play its own kits...it can however include lots of ready made drum loops that can be drug to a sequence track and then used to trigger other plugin drum kits).

Or, you can simply collect/record/build your own drum loops and patterns.

In short, you treat Aria as if it were a sampler or synth plugged into your DAW. The DAW sends the events to 'trigger' sounds. Aria actually generates the sounds and sends them out through your computer's sound-card.

You can get an idea of how each Garritan JABB drum kit is mapped to the keyboard in its user manual.

Yes, you can adjust the over-all volume, pan, and FX level of the drum kit via MIDI using the mod wheel (CC 1) volume (CC7), pan (CC10), expression (CC11), Reverb (CC91) or other controllers (see JABB manual).

If you want to adjust the relative volume of individual drum kit pieces then you'll need to:
1. Load a drum kit into Aria.
2. Click the controls tab.
3. There you can adjust the volume of some of the individual kit piece using the mouse. If you'd like to automate such a mix with CuBase or via remote controls, the valid CC messages are shown in Aria for midi controlling each drum kit piece.

If you find that you need to adjust kit pieces that aren't listed on the controls tab but really need such control for the desired mix....it might be easiest just to load an extra channel with the same drum kit and isolate the trouble kit piece on its own channel for easy remote mixing.

Happy Sequencing,
Credo

Last edited by Credo on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Credo

Software Owned:
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby delboy007 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 am

sorry if I not making myself understood very well. If I create a loop in Aria but made one silly mistake on one of the drums, how do I correct that mistake other than deleting the loop and starting again?

delboy007

Postby Credo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 am

delboy007 wrote:sorry if I not making myself understood very well. If I create a loop in Aria but made one silly mistake on one of the drums, how do I correct that mistake other than deleting the loop and starting again?

Make sure you have the midi part selected in CuBase, and then open your choice of an editor.

Credo

Software Owned: