MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

woodwind sample cutout

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

woodwind sample cutout

Postby danjw » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Am using GPO on a scoring project for first time and am finding that w'wind patches are cutting out on sus notes. But only w'winds! Am running on windows 7 with 4gb ram. Problem occurs with only 4 or five active tracks plus short video track. Daw is cubase 7.
Any ideas?

danjw

Re: woodwind sample cutout

Postby Credo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 pm

I had the same issue and struggled with it for some months from CuBase Versions 7.5 - 8.
(A thread about my saga can be found here: http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7187 )

I've had much smoother performance since reinstalling everything at its latest versions and using larger Inst-Disk Precaching settings in the settings tab. Also, on instruments that use a lot of layers I double check to make sure to have a larger minimum polyphony setting for such instruments so 'voice stealing' technologies don't conflict and give odd sounds or drop out effects.

Might I suggest...
1. Make sure you've the latest version of everything. You can get the info from the 'settings' tab in the Aria Player.
a. Aria Player (1.620)
b. Aria Engine (1.809)

If you need to update the Aria Player you can find it here:
https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads
or by logging into your registration account and searching the support area.
(log in to the account you used to register with at http://www.garritan.com/ )

You can find the latest Aria engine here:
http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/

When updating things don't forget to change out the dll VST wraper in your Stienberg/vstplugins folder!

If the above doesn't improve things, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and grab fresh copies of your Garritan Libraries and reinstall those as well. I've found that there have been some fixes since way back when I first installed it from the Garritan Media that was shipped to me.

Finally, I learned that in some cases with CuBase, Aria instances saved as a part of a CuBase project (or as a project 'template') can get corrupted. I've no idea how or why, but I did learn that older projects can have issues with Aria instances. If they are not acting as they should...it usually fixes it for me to make note of that set-up, close the Aria instance, save a fresh copy of the project in CuBase (without the Aria instance(s), reboot CuBase, open my newer copy, and rebuild fresh Aria Instances.

If your Aria instances are large and complicated, you can try saving an ensemble set from inside your latest version updates of Aria, closing the Aria instance, saving the project in CuBase (without any Aria Instances), rebooting CuBase, reloading your newer project version, and then rebuilding your Aria instances with your saved ensemble sets. Once you've saved the fresh build...it should be solid for a long time thereafter (seems to me that updates to either CuBase, or to Aria can sometimes cause things in project VST settings to break in older projects).

At least in my Case...now with CuBase 8...
The 1.809 engine update has helped a great deal.

Since upgrading Aria Engine to 1.809, I've had several trouble free 'high octane' sessions on my System with 64 bit CuBase, Multiple Aria Instances (multiple output versions), HALion 5, Groove Agent 4, and EightyEight Piano v2, all stacked and taxing system resources.

In Sibelius 7.5 I've only had one project out of several since the update present lots of disk loss messages (that eventually sorted themselves out after I paused to render the score to a wav file, then resumed my work)...I've no idea why, but Sibelius seems to like much bigger ASIO buffers to get rid of subtle little pops and clicks. Where I can get by with really small ones in CuBase for my audio card, I usually need to double them when working with Sibelius.

If none of that helps...don't hesitate to open a help ticket through your registration account.

Good luck,
Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby danjw » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 pm

hey, thanks for such an in depth reply, very helpful!
I tried updating both aria player and engine, only to find that the ambience wouldn't work in vst mode (fine in stand alone) I suspect this might relate to the dll wrapper as you mention. in the end I reverted back to my orginal versions of both and reinstalled the GPO library and that did the trick! I have three small children who dont sleep well so I was happy to just have a working orchestra to at least make some music rather than spend the evening watching a progress bar.
I do intend to try and get the latest ARIA though as the new reverb looks great also I stumbled across the sforzando sampler in the process which looks pretty amazing for no money!
When you say change the dll wrapper, what exactly does this entail?
Again thanks for some great advice!

danjw

Postby Credo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:13 pm

danjw wrote:hey, thanks for such an in depth reply, very helpful!
I tried updating both aria player and engine, only to find that the ambience wouldn't work in vst mode (fine in stand alone) I suspect this might relate to the dll wrapper as you mention. in the end I reverted back to my orginal versions of both and reinstalled the GPO library and that did the trick! I have three small children who dont sleep well so I was happy to just have a working orchestra to at least make some music rather than spend the evening watching a progress bar.
I do intend to try and get the latest ARIA though as the new reverb looks great also I stumbled across the sforzando sampler in the process which looks pretty amazing for no money!
When you say change the dll wrapper, what exactly does this entail?
Again thanks for some great advice!

Your DAW should have a particular folder that it scans to check for VST plugins. With CuBase it's usually something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins

In that folder you should see your ARIA plugin(s). In my case I run 64bit Windows, and I want the multi-output version, so I make sure I have the latest copy of "ARIA Player Multi VST_x64.dll" in there.

Usually you can tell the Aria Installers and updaters to take care of this for you, but I've just gotten in a habit of double checking it manually just in case. There should always be a copy of the plugins in your ..\Program Files\Garritan\Aria Player\VST folder.

With CuBase, depending on the type of mix I'm after (mainly with jazz, loud marching/pep band arrangements, or pop), I often like to use the multi output version of ARIA, disable the ARIA reverb and convolution, and use my own DAW audio effects. I.E. I might split up my Aria outputs so that each instrument family (and maybe important solo parts) gets a pair of outputs to itself. Now I can do the general ambient reverb on a DAW aux bus for the entire mix (or have more than one if I need it for some reason), but have some major flexibility when it comes to doing effect chains for EQ, delay, compression, or other special effects more suitable to each instrument family. The reverb and convolution provided in ARIA is actually quite good! I just find the CuBase effects are a little easier to automate in finer detail with CuBase controller lanes. With traditional scores...I don't really need to get at 'fx' as much as I like to twiddle with 'eq' values on the fly for some tone and tamber coloring throughout phrases and articulations.

When I do use the built in ARIA effects (great for really dynamic symphonic stuff that doesn't need much if any real time tweaking) with the multi output version...I have to remind myself that all the built in Aria effect sends will always be over outputs 1 & 2, even if I've assigned dry audio of an instrument to some other output. That can be a bit confusing at first....but yeah, the wet ARIA effect sends are always going to come from outputs 1&2. The one thing I know of that is quite easy to automate with the ARIA effects is that you can get at the individual channel reverb levels using CC91. Other than that...I'm not aware of much else for the ARIA audio effects that you can automate from controller lanes.

Happy Sequencing,
Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion