MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan Player and Libraries

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Garritan Player and Libraries

Postby judddanby » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:59 am

Dear Collective Wisdom,

I have been a Finale user for years, with both GPO 4 and JABB 3. I recently purchased a second computer, and am setting things up. After downloading Finale 2014d from Makemusic, I'm wondering about the Aria Player and missing (?) and/or redundant libraries. The attached picture shows all of the Garritan items stored in the Applications folder of my older iMac.

iMac Garritan Libraries.jpg
Garritan items on my older computer
iMac Garritan Libraries.jpg (19.87 KB) Viewed 2966 times

Two questions:

(1) I assume that the JABB and GPO libraries (the older of which which were handled through Native Instruments registration) are redundant, and that I can remove the older ones.

(2) My 2014d download to my new machine did not include the Instruments for Finale, or any Aria Player. Are they necessary, or do GPO 4 and JABB 3 give me everything in the "for Finale" set plus more?

Thanks for your wisdom.

judddanby

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d
GPO 4
JABB 3
Mac OS 10.10.2

Re: Garritan Player and Libraries

Postby Wlgold » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 am

You don't need the original versions of GPO and JABB unless you have some reason for wanting to use Kontakt Player.

I don't have 2014d, but I think its version of GIFF may have some world instruments that are not included in GPO or JABB. Also, if you have a playback problem with a Finale file that uses JABB, for example, and want to avail yourself of the Finale Forum, you'll get more responses if you translate it to GIFF before posting it. If it were me, I would try to get GIFF onto my machine, even though I hardly ever use it.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Postby judddanby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:49 am

So how does one download GIFF? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I am perplexed, as I've never had any troubles of this kind before.

judddanby

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d
GPO 4
JABB 3
Mac OS 10.10.2

Postby Wlgold » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:19 am

GIFF should install as part of the Finale program as long as it isn't the demo version. There should be some kind of dialogue box for it after the main part of the install is done. I think some people may have had problems when trying to put GIFF on something other than the default disk.

Try doing the install again, and when it asks you, leave GIFF on the C: drive. If there's still a problem, contact MM about it; I don't think you'll be the first.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Postby judddanby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Got it! It turns out I had to log into my MakeMusic account > MY ACCOUNT and download the Finale 2014 Large Upgrade image instead of the trial download from the front of the website.

(An obvious enough thing; I wish I had caught it right away.)

Thanks for your help, WIgold!

judddanby

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d
GPO 4
JABB 3
Mac OS 10.10.2