MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Problem creating multi-timbral in Pro X

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Problem creating multi-timbral in Pro X

Postby sus4 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:10 pm

I've watched the tutorial a few times and I think that it is not completely correct. I'm able to create a multi-timbral set up in Logic Pro X using ARIA player, but all the tracks seems to be connected to each other. If I press the S (solo) button all the tracks light up. That shouldn't be. Only the one track that I selected should light up. You can't solo one track like this. Also, when I go to play one track all the level meters on all the tracks move. Only the one that I select and play on my keyboard should move. I was able to use ARIA player in Logic Pro X, but only as individual entities. One ARIA player for each track. This does work, but it supposedly uses a lot of CPU. If the tutorial isn't wrong then I must be doing something wrong.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Re: Problem creating multi-timbral in Pro X

Postby Credo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 pm

sus4 wrote:I've watched the tutorial a few times and I think that it is not completely correct. I'm able to create a multi-timbral set up in Logic Pro X using ARIA player, but all the tracks seems to be connected to each other. If I press the S (solo) button all the tracks light up. That shouldn't be. Only the one track that I selected should light up. You can't solo one track like this. Also, when I go to play one track all the level meters on all the tracks move. Only the one that I select and play on my keyboard should move. I was able to use ARIA player in Logic Pro X, but only as individual entities. One ARIA player for each track. This does work, but it supposedly uses a lot of CPU. If the tutorial isn't wrong then I must be doing something wrong.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.

Is there a way to Load Aria as a 'rack instrument' instead of doing individual 'track instruments'?

Once you've found a way to get it loaded into your DAW as a rack instrument, it should simply be a matter of directing the track's midi output to the instance of Aria that you want, then choose the corresponding midi channel for the instrument slot in Aria.

Each instrument slot in Aria should have its own midi channel set (which you can change at will by clicking on it and selecting from a pop-up menu). It's also possible to layer instruments by setting their slots to the same channel.

If you use the multi output version of Aria, you can also give instruments their own audio outputs. In this case, any reverb or convulation effects applied in Aria will always be mixed to outputs 1 & 2. So if you want to apply your own effects from the DAW you might want to disable Aria's.

An alternative that sometimes comes in handy if you're just working with a few tracks and using a DAW with your own FX plugins is to install sforzando. http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
If you find that you'd rather work with individual track instruments (each getting its own audio stream for applying DAW FX) then you could also try the free sforzando player. In this case Garritan libraries should work fine, but you won't get the reverb and convulation effects that can be present in Aria.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Re: Problem creating multi-timbral in Pro X

Postby sus4 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:44 am

Credo, I don't know what you mean by a "rack instrument". In ARIA all the tracks are on separate midi channels and separate outputs as I have it set up right now.

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3