MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Problem with CoMB percussion sounds

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Problem with CoMB percussion sounds

Postby ingx24 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to use the "VDL General Midi Set" drum map from Garritan Concert and Marching Band 2 in Sibelius 7, but there seems to be an issue with the snare drum sound.

Whenever I try to play back the snare drum part, only every other note gets played; the rest are silent. This also happens when I click on the note (which gives a preview of the sound the note makes); it only makes a sound every other time I click.

I went into the ARIA player interface, and when I tap the onscreen piano key for the snare drum sound, it works fine as long as I'm high enough up on the piano key (i.e. using a low enough velocity), but if I click near the tip of the piano key (for a high velocity), it will often only make a sound every other time I click it. If it does make a sound twice in a row, the second sound is slightly different; it's as if the snare drum is trying to alternate between a left hand and right hand sound, and one of the sounds isn't working properly. The only things I can think of are that I have 2 other ARIA players running (which never caused any problems with the GPO percussion), or that there was a problem with installation. Can anyone help?

ingx24

Re: Problem with CoMB percussion sounds

Postby bwsayles » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:49 pm

I have also been having this issue. I just submitted a message to Garritan. Did you every find out what is causing this? It does it in Finale 2010 & 2014. Sounds like an issue with the samples and the Aria player.

bwsayles

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 am

You're both quite right, I've examined the programming (the sfz) behind the snare hit and there appears to be one velocity level missing.

Simply put, the programming alternates, with each successive hit, between two 'sets' of samples.
One of the sample sets has five different samples each triggered by the 'velocity' of the hit from low to high. On the other the top sample is missing. There are only three levels defined, and anything above velocity 111 will result in silence on one of the two hits.

If you can leave the problem with me for a day or so I'll see whether I can fix it for you.
I'll then post the result here.

Regards,
John.

Further:
There are eight samples available for this snare, I think if I divide them into two sections of four samples each, with just four velocity levels that should suffice until Garritan supplies a resolution, if they do.
Okay?

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am

Okay, an update.
I've solved the problem by distributing the samples equally between the right and left hand hits, four each, so there's no longer an alternate silence at highest velocities.

However, after some experimentation I've discovered that the top (highest velocity of the eight) sample is like a rim shot and ... there's only one of them ... so, using the alternating hits (right, left) and distributing the samples equally between the alternating hits, at highest velocities, I get one as a rim shot, the other a hard hit.

The question is, should I use the same rim shot sample at highest velocity on both right and left hand hits and not worry that they're the same? Or what?
Some feedback would be useful.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Credo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:23 pm

SysExJohn wrote:Okay, an update.
I've solved the problem by distributing the samples equally between the right and left hand hits, four each, so there's no longer an alternate silence at highest velocities.

However, after some experimentation I've discovered that the top (highest velocity of the eight) sample is like a rim shot and ... there's only one of them ... so, using the alternating hits (right, left) and distributing the samples equally between the alternating hits, at highest velocities, I get one as a rim shot, the other a hard hit.

The question is, should I use the same rim shot sample at highest velocity on both right and left hand hits and not worry that they're the same? Or what?
Some feedback would be useful.

Regards,
John.

In the short term I think reusing the existing sample should be fine. It's definitely better than a missing note!

Is it possible to edit/resample one of the other samples somehow and reuse it?

I.E. Take one of the existing samples...do a little gain and pitch shifting...maybe even a slight time stretch or shrink...then plug it back in? I've no idea if this is possible with the .audio format samples, but maybe worth a try?

If editing the actual sample is a no-go....perhaps some of the real time synth and filtering abilities of the Aria Engine could muster up a 'slightly different sound' for each layer that needs to share a sample?

Credo

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:31 am

Thanks for your response, Credo.

After further work and, as you suggested, using the highest velocity sample in the missing area I had some very strange effects.

Initially I just inserted a new <region> copying the sfz from one part to the other with the velocity changed to match the missing definition. What was missing was from 111 to 127.
Strangely, no change, still a blank on one of the two hits.

Changing the velocity level downwards to 93 to match the way it was used in the working sample cured that problem. So now a snare hit is played at all velocities but ... they don't sound the same. :o :shock: :?

A quick look didn't provide an obvious answer. More examination of the way the sfz code requires the sample to be played in each of the two different areas is needed. I hope to find time to take a look at that today. :geek: :ugeek:

Like you, I don't use this set myself. More typically I would one of the JaBB3 sets for , with its typically 16 left and 16 right hand sample sets for the snare.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned: