MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

mod wheel control?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

mod wheel control?

Postby shortstop » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Is it possible to control the mod wheel in GPO4 using an external device? I have a Privia M350 digital piano w/o a volume wheel only a pitch wheel. It has USB and midi in/outs, and 1/4 in/outs.
Have tried output from KB to input of Boss 500 expression pedal - out of pedal to pedal solution box then midi to Presonus interface via midi to imac and Logic Pro 9 - but it doesn't effect any change in mod wheel or the performance in GPO4.
Is there a simple way to effect mod wheel in ARIA Player?
thanks
shortstop

[color=#0040FF]singer/songwriter
https://www.youtube.com/user/shiresongs
www.nimbitmusic.com/shiresongsne
iMac 10.6.8
Logic Pro 9.1.8
Presonus Firestudio Project interface
Privia M350 Digital Piano
GPO4 v. 1.620
[/color]
shortstop

Re: mod wheel control?

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 am

Hi shortstop.

I can't humbly figure out why Casio people do enclosed a pitch bend wheel to a digital piano, even as a single available performance controller, aside from more substantial the sustain and expression pedals that are already there.

Anyway. Any decent DAW-sequencer should allow you to remap controllers to send incoming MIDI CC data to CC1, that is actually the modulation wheel itself, or to CC11, the latter delivering expression data.

A spring loaded pitch wheel it is probably not the best way to tame modulation sources, still it can be done. If your feet are skillful as you are hands are, you can try using the expression pedal.

I see elsewhere that you are looking for a different keyboard controller: maybe adding to your rig an external device that has enough faders, rotary pots (or even wheels) will be enough.

Hope it helps.

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:13 am

Hi Shortstop,

Unfortunately the pitch bend wheel works in a completely different way to all the other MIDI controllers. For a start you will notice that it always returns to the centre position. Other controllers do not usually return to a fixed position or, where a few do, they return to the lowest position, zero. This can often be found with joystick controllers.

The messages that are sent by the pitch bend wheel are also completely different to all other controllers. Pitch bend is from -8192 thru 0 to +8191, all others are 0 to 127.

In short, the pitch bend wheel is completely unsuitable to control anything other than pitch.

Another thing to be aware of is that all the ARIA based Garritan libraries, GPO4 included, use not only the mod wheel, but also MIDI controllers number 11 (expression), and/or number 2 (breath), to control the volume of the sound for non-percussive instruments. Many keyboards, not all, have the capability to add an expression pedal, so check that out.

If that expression controller socket isn't available then you may be able to add an external MIDI controller via the MIDI in socket on the Privia and have control data forwarded to GPO. Beware though, not all keyboards will forward MIDI data in this way. Check the manual carefully.

Hope that helps a bit?
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby shortstop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks John and Fabio,

If that expression controller socket isn't available then you may be able to add an external MIDI controller via the MIDI in socket on the Privia and have control data forwarded to GPO. Beware though, not all keyboards will forward MIDI data in this way. Check the manual carefully.

I like the idea above very much - so i assume i would be able to play the casio w/ its' weighted keys, and control the 3 relevant effects thru this MIDI KB. So MIDI controller>Casio via MIDI in>to iMAC vis USB right? Are you questioning MIDI controllers ability to forward MIDI data or the Casio's ability to forward data from the MIDI controller?

Would it also be possible to go from Casio to MIDI KB to iMAC? BTW the casio has USB out, MIDI i/o.

Thank you very much, the guys at Guitar Center could not make a volume pedal work with the casio - funny they did not mention a MIDI controller

paul

[color=#0040FF]singer/songwriter
https://www.youtube.com/user/shiresongs
www.nimbitmusic.com/shiresongsne
iMac 10.6.8
Logic Pro 9.1.8
Presonus Firestudio Project interface
Privia M350 Digital Piano
GPO4 v. 1.620
[/color]
shortstop

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 am

Hi Paul,

shortstop wrote:Thanks John and Fabio,

I like the idea above very much - so i assume i would be able to play the casio w/ its' weighted keys, and control the 3 relevant effects thru this MIDI KB. So MIDI controller>Casio via MIDI in>to iMAC vis USB right? Are you questioning MIDI controllers ability to forward MIDI data or the Casio's ability to forward data from the MIDI controller?

Please don't assume!
As I wrote, you must check with the manual that that the Privia will 'forward' MIDI data from the input to the output. Many/most keyboards don't do this. With some you have to set special switches or mess around with internal settings.

I'm surprised that the Privia doesn't have an expression pedal input, but it isn't a standard feature of a piano either. Just the usual three pedals. Soft, sostenuto and sustain?

Would it also be possible to go from Casio to MIDI KB to iMAC? BTW the casio has USB out, MIDI i/o.

Sorry, no idea. But certainly not via USB.
Maybe Privia MIDI out to another keyboard (and if it supports MIDI forwarding) on to iMac.

Thank you very much, the guys at Guitar Center could not make a volume pedal work with the casio - funny they did not mention a MIDI controller

paul

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.