MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Greetings All,

After creating a rendering of the 1st aria in Bach's BWV 170 I noticed a nasty 'glitch' in the Oboe d'Amore part where a C4 was being held for a relatively long time. I played it on the stand alone Aria player and sure enough both the C4 and the B below glitched.

Investigating the appropriate sfz file I find that they use the same sample.
"<region> lovel=1 hivel=127 lokey=59 hikey=60 pitch_keycenter=60 amplitude=100 tune=0 loop_mode=loop_continuous loop_start=140796 loop_end=147402 sample=OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio"

Opening the C4 sample (OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio) in Audacity and entering the start and end points of the loop, I find that the start point (140796) is at a zero crossing point but the end point (147402) is at a wave peak. Experimenting with changes to the end point, I was able to get a zero crossover point and the correct position within the overall wave form, at 147388.

Editing the sfz file to reflect the new loop crossover end point and reloading the sample has effected a complete cure.

Should I post the corrected sfz file?

Regards,
John.

Added later.
Find below a link to the corrected file, "Oboe D'Amore Solo.sfx"
You make the following alterations at your own risk.
The author takes no responsibility for any alterations you make to your copy of the installed GPO4 library.
Having said that I have taken every care to make sure that the alteration is correct and fixes a fault in the looping of certain notes as described in the above post.
The satisfactory operation of the corrected file has been confirmed by at least one other user.

Assuming you have installed the GPO4 library in the default location, then the file "Oboe D'Amore Solo.sfz" needs to replace the one already in:
C:\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Instruments\1. Woodwinds\2. Oboes and Eng. Horn\
Before overwriting the existing file it would be better to rename it with a different suffix, e.g. "Oboe D'Amore Solo.bak", then you may revert to that if necessary.
Oboe d'Amore Solo

Last edited by SysExJohn on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Re: Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

Postby DavidinTexas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:28 am

Glad to have found your post John.
Yes, please post the corrected file.
Thank you,
David

DavidinTexas

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:56 am

Please check the original message for the modified Oboe d'Amore sfz file.
Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Credo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 am

The glitch happens to me as well...

Thanks for the fix John!

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 am

You are most welcome, Credo.
Thanks for confirming that the fix works.

My pleasure.

BTW, if you find any more glitching instruments send them my way and I'll try to fix them too!
Thanks for the reputation points.

No, I'm not Garritan Customer Support, ;)
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned: