MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How to use Keyswitches and Reverb?

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

How to use Keyswitches and Reverb?

Postby sus4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Well, I finally completed my first JABB3 arrangement and now would like to dress it up a bit.
I'm using Logic Pro X as my program. I want to go from open trumpet to cup mute and back to open trumpet. I also want to add reverb.
I checked the manual and could not get a clear explanation on exactly how to to both. It does tell you it can be done however.
I know going from open trumpet to a cup mute and back I have to use Trumpet KS in ARIA which I've done.
Theres' probably other articulations like Dropoffs, Doits and Kisses that I would like to use also.
Thanks for any help.

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Re: How to use Keyswitches and Reverb?

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Sus4,

To change from open to the various mutes one needs to enter the appropriate 'note' shortly before the new sound is required. If you look at the piano keyboard at the foot of the Aria window, with a KS sample set loaded, you can see some keys in red (or pink) and to the left of that with the low C pressed it should say 'open'. If you press D you should get 'straight mute' and so on. So in your MIDI file you will need to insert the correct note, the key switch. Then, when going back to open, a low C just before will switch the sound back again. These keyswitch notes can be of minimum duration and velocity or whatever. There are no trumpet samples to play that low. See page 81.

Doits etc. are implemented using a MIDI controller. In most sequencers one can open a controller pane below the piano roll view and draw in the controls needed. In this case release effects use controller number 15. (cc#15) See page 87 of the JABB manual.

Any help?
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby sus4 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

John,
Thanks for your reply. I understand how to use the Keyswitches from your explanation.
Not quite sure how to use the Midi controller in regards to Doits etc.
Also, you didn't say anything about reverb in ARIA. I tried accessing it in the ARIA window, but I'm not getting it to work.

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Derrek » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:40 pm

You are better off adding reverb in your DAW (Logic) than in the Aria Player.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby sus4 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:34 am

Why am I better off adding reverb in my DAW?

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Jetcopy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:10 am

sus4 wrote:Why am I better off adding reverb in my DAW?

Because this is the purpose of a DAW, to get the best possible recording. Using reverb and other effects in Logic, you can have more individual control over them. Google "using reverb in Logic" to get some ideas on how to approach it.

Jetcopy

Postby sus4 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks Jertcopy, looks like you're right.

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Credo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 am

sus4 wrote:Why am I better off adding reverb in my DAW?

If you desire complex automation of your effect chain its just easier to get along with.
You also get more options on where the audio is routed.

Just as an example:
If you use the multi output version of Aria, you can split up different patches to their own unique outputs in your DAW mixer and apply a variety of VST plugin effects (or even outboard FX gear) any way you see fit.

I.E. Woodwinds on bus 1 & 2, Brass on 3 & 4, some 'solo' instruments on 5 & 6, percussion on 7 & 8, etc. Next you could disable the effects in Aria itself to save those cpu and memory cycles. And now, through your DAW you have a TON of flexibility in the chains of effects you can apply and automate to individual, or groups of sounds coming out of Aria. You could have one channel on your mixer set up as a master ambient reverb, and just route a send into that FX channel from all your Aria outputs and save a bunch of CPU cycles as compared to sticking a reverb plugin on each individual channel. Now you could set up appropriate EQ and compression schemes for each instrument family on each Aria Output on your mixer :)

If you do still want to use the built in reverb of Aria for some basic static ambient reverb or sound staging...just remember that the FX send (or wet version of the signal from all 16 channels) of Aria is always going to output to the 1 & 2 bus....no matter where you might assign other patches to output their dry signals. So...keep that in mind if you want to isolate the wet signal from the dry ones using the Multi Output version of Aria.

So.......for me at least....I disable built in Aria FX when working in a DAW. I still find the built in reverb very nice and useful for more static concept stages though (I.E. when running a Score Suite like Sibelius that doesn't support many obvious automation abilities anyway).

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby Breg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 am

Thank you Credo!
I've been going nutz over that 1&2 bussed reverb thing.

Breg