MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Getting new computer, reinstall finale, gpo4,Gwi

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Getting new computer, reinstall finale, gpo4,Gwi

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Maybe I'm paranoid, I am hoping for a flawless changeover. I am acquiring a inspirion 3000 utilizing win 7, and moving from a 6 year old inspirion using vista. Any advice? Should I just be cool, configure the new computer, then download from my mm account?

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Re: Getting new computer, reinstall finale, gpo4,Gwi

Postby greyfox73 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:22 pm

You should be fine with downloading what you need and installing. Myself, I've always kept back ups of GPO4 and my other libraries. When I added a new laptop last year, all I had to do was copy the zip files onto the new computer and install them. Either way should work just fine! Cheers!

Gary

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 pm

thank you, Gary . I submitted this question to make music, and they said to de authorize finale before switching computers. My next question was do I need to de authorize my 2 garritan libraries also ? I guess I need to go into my mm account and reinstall everything, I don't want problems in the process, of course. I read a few bad experiences regarding this issue.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:30 pm

thanks all, I think I have all the answers I need....good luck !

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:20 am

Hello Steve,

Congratulations on your new computer; I'm sure you'll soon be enjoying working with it. Which model of the Inspirion 3000 range are you going for?

You seem to have the answers you need for your Finale and Garritan libraries. Yes .. I've often forgotten to deauthorise Finale before swiping a drive for a clean reformat and reinstall. Fortunately all it took was an email to MakeMusic and they reset my account. Now I've added a 'large' reminder to my physical install folder. ;)

Good luck with installing everything. :D

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Michael, I have been thinking of a new computer for awhile, the problem with multi instances of the aria player in reaper was one deciding factor. I got a Tb hard drive, and 8 gb of ram, the old one has 3 gb of ram, and 500gb hard drive. The old one will be my wife's, since she likes to play games, and the new is dedicated to business uses. I took advantage of discounted dells, and I didn't want win8, the new has the top version of win7. Thanks for asking !

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:28 am

Hello again Steve,

I did think that your experiences with multiple instances with Aria Player in Reaper had something with your decision.

I believe the 8 GB RAM models come with an Intel i3 processor so you should notice quite a difference.

Obviously, one important difference is that with this you'll have a greater choice of DAWS including Sonar, Digital Performer, Cubase and so on. I'm sure you've received the good advice to try demos to see which one works nearest the way you do.

Good luck and I'll watch this space with interest.

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:10 pm

thanks Michael, I am using an ez transfer method to move file folders and settings from the old to the new. I read to install programs first, before moving files folders and settings. I de authorized finale from the old, and hoping to install finale, world, and gpo4 first, then transfer the data from the old. I would be pleasantly surprised if everything is configured correctly from the start. Do you think that's possible ? The new machine has an i5 processor.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:19 pm

so, I've got my software downloaded from mm. and tomorrow will use the files and settings ez transfer from the old computer. the question is, will all my settings be transferred ? without me going through the setup routine again ?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello, I set up all the appropriate files in the correct folders, and have all configured I think. However, when I open my finale files and play within finale 2011 PM, it says the file was composed using the aria player 1.67, not 1.62 as I just updated the aria player to, and won't just play the files. Also, when updating the aria player, the icons on the desktop did not change , will try a reboot to see if that fixes the problem. thank you !

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Next