MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Finale 2014b Crashing ** SOLUTION

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Finale 2014b Crashing ** SOLUTION

Postby Michael.B » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:19 pm

The new, eagerly awaited Finale 2014b Update has resolved some important issues including the broken Human Playback, the broken Finale MIDI track names, the click X to close crashing in windows 8 and several other issues which is excellent.

However, a new problem has crept in and reported by many users, including myself, where Finale 2014b constantly crashes when selecting from the menu. This appears to be particularly prone when using the Simple Entry Tool to input notes or other events. This issue is widely reported in the Finale Forums and the issue is now know to the Development Team. Many people have written in the Finale forums that they have had to revert back to Finale 2014a, or earlier. The cause of the problem isn't known .. until now.

After many days of trying and testing, I have traced the cause of the problem, in my case, to the ASIO Audio Driver in Finale 2014b. Changing the Audio Driver in Finale 2014b has resolved the crashes for me and may well do so for other people who experienced this problem.

I would suggest changing the driver to the 'Direct Sound' driver, to see if this also works for you, until this has been investigated further by the Development Team.

For those users who are not sure on how to change the Audio Driver in Finale, I have prepared a very brief video showing how to do this. I shall also link this post in the Finale Forums.

Changing the Audio Driver in Finale2014b

I hope this 'workaround' also works for everyone else.

Good luck.

Michael

Michael.B

Re: Finale 2014b Crashing ** SOLUTION

Postby Michael.B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 am

Just to update this thread.

Make Music has fixed this persistent crashing problem and has since released Finale 2014c which has also fixed a few other issues.

Full details in the Finale forums and the update can be applied directly from within Finale.

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm

thank you, michael .

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks for replying Steve.

Unfortunately I've discovered another blip in that Finale 2014 crashes and reopens when exporting a wave file.

I'll experiment more on this and see if changing the audio driver prevents this. I'll also mention this in the Finale forums and send in a ticket if I confirm this.

Will report back.

Michael

Michael.B

Postby Derrek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Michael,

Sorry you are experiencing this. I have been exporting a lot of WAV files this week (albeit short ones) and have not experienced this. Hope you are able to sort it out soon.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Michael.B » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 am

Derrek wrote:Michael,

Sorry you are experiencing this. I have been exporting a lot of WAV files this week (albeit short ones) and have not experienced this. Hope you are able to sort it out soon.

Hello Derrek,

Thanks for your reply. The strange thing is I can't replicate now either, everything is fine. I've tried exporting quite a few wav files without Finale crashing and re-opening.

I recall this happening if I first opened Finale's mixer and selected to solo an instrument or made a volume adjustement then exported the wav file straight after this.

I don't export wav files from Finale that often so it's not really a big thing but, in any case, it's OK now. :)

Michael.B