MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

ARIA Player x64 failing to load in saved projects

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

ARIA Player x64 failing to load in saved projects

Postby Kodakami » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 am

Hello to you all! Decent-time Garritan customer, first-time forum poster. I do love Garritan products and I'll admit the one time I didn't go with Garritan, I was sorely disappointed. Anyway, I'm obviously posting here for a reason:

I'm not exactly sure when this started happening (I've been putting off dealing with it), but for around 3-5 months I think, project files I have that use Garritan World Instruments have been crashing before completely loading.

Of course, no one here can solve a problem that vague, so prepare for all the detail I can give:

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) with an Intel i5 processor, 8 GB RAM. My DAW is FL Studio 11 Signature Edition (stable, non-beta release), I have a fully-functional Garritan Personal Orchestra 2.0 running out of Kontakt Player 2, and I'm running ARIA Player for GWI. I always try to use 64-bit versions of plug-ins, so I'm sure all of my project files in FLS call up Fruity Wrapper to plug in the 64-bit VST version of the two Garritan libraries.

I can run ARIA Player in both 32 and 64-bit variations with no problems at all, and I can even save my projects. My problem occurs when I then try to open a project file saved with ARIA Player instruments (only x64, not x86!). Most of the time, all the other instruments in the project load successfully before ARIA's standard small, white loading window appears. Then, I get a frozen screen for a few seconds to a few minutes before Windows 7's loading spinner appears (then I have to click the screen and get an "unresponsive" message). The other thing that sometimes happens is all the instruments in the project load, but FLS will seize up without the ARIA player loading window and FLS will display its standard "Project loaded" notice (it's not really loaded of course, it's frozen and needs to be force-killed).

Now, posting here is my last place after hours of trying to fix this myself (I'm patient with software problems, I even got stuff from EWQL to work after 8 months...). I've learned about the differences between GWI, ARIA Player and ARIA Engine. A few things led me to suspect ARIA Player specifically. 1) ARIA is obviously the one that's failing to load, 2) I can open every other VSTi without a problem, 3) a few places online indicated that some people can have problems with ARIA Player update not completely uninstalling older versions.

SO...

I've completely uninstalled everything related to this (through Windows Add/Remove Programs, then manual folder deletion, then careful (informed) deletion of all ARIA and GWI-related registry values, then another pass with Piriform CCleaner to remove all traces). By the time I was done uninstalling, I even had to re-register GWI. I've tried opening the "corrupted" projects in this clean state and they load and play just fine (minus a missing ARIA player, of course). I've tried re-installing it normally (out-of-the-box style), I've tried re-installing normally and then updating to AP 1.6.2, I've tried installing AP 1.6.2 before the GWI bank (without the "factory" AP version, as this was suspected among some groups to be the problem). Every time I've gotten the exact same symptoms: Only the 64-bit ARIA Player crashes, and only when loading a saved project.

Outside of DAWS-related fixes, I've tried updating my sound drivers (all up-to-date), and updating Windows (only optional updates left, none remotely audio-related). Nothing doing.

Unfortunately, I can't recall if an ARIA or FLS update caused this whole mess, but obviously something changed or I wouldn't have a problem.

If someone can help me with this, I'd love to get back to my Shamisens, Bodhrans, and PVC Flutes. Need any more details, just ask!

Thanks in advance!

~Eric "Kodakami" Freischlad, call me what you will.

Kodakami

Re: ARIA Player x64 failing to load in saved projects

Postby rbowser » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:38 am

What a bummer, Eric - I've passed this post on to ARIA developers, hoping they can come up with a solution. It should help that your report is so detailed.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby plgDavid » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 am

The fruity wrapper for x64 VST plugins recently started causing this specific problem with ARIA products.

We know what the problem is and have a beta fix for it. In the mean time if you only use the x86 (32bit) version of ARIA player, you will not have this issue.

David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
Montreal. http://www.plogue.com
plgDavid

Postby Kodakami » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks to both of you for the responses!

I'd like to ask Mr. Viens if there is a way I can get a hold of that Beta fix? If it's not possible, I understand and would like to know if you might know when that fix will become public.

EDIT: Ah, my apologies. It seems I missed a private message to this effect. Thank you all very much!

Kodakami

Postby BombadeerStudios » Wed May 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Hey, I'm actually having the same problem with nearly the same setup. I'm fine switching to the 32bit for future projects, but in the meantime I have a crucial project I can't get open! Every time I try it freezes up at loading the Aria Player. Is there anything to do to get this thing to open? I'm trying to get this out for a client today. :/

BombadeerStudios

Postby plgDavid » Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 am

Please see this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=7&p=7418#p7418

The 1.719 build fixes this

David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
Montreal. http://www.plogue.com
plgDavid