MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Using Garritan samples with Kontakt 5

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Using Garritan samples with Kontakt 5

Postby C24K » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 am

Is there anyway of using the Garritan samples with Kontakt 5?

I purchased the Garritan Ultimate library because they sounded great on the demos and after reading under multiple support forums that you could use Kontakt or Kontakt player for the sample libraries. I'm finding out now that after Garritan created their Aria player (which works fine, but it makes it difficult playing live shows while running two different players) they no longer allow them to be used in Kontakt. Has Garritan completely severed their latest samples usage with Kontakt?

C24K

Re: Using Garritan samples with Kontakt 5

Postby rbowser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 am

C24K wrote:Is there anyway of using the Garritan samples with Kontakt 5?

C24K - it seems like Kontakt users do clever re-programming to have Libraries of all sorts work in Kontakt. I have no experience with it, so don't know for sure if the Garritan Libraries can be adapted that way - Seems, however, that I have seen a post or two over the years of people at least attempting that.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby C24K » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 pm

I have been asking around Native Instruments forum and it seems that after Garritan encrypted their files and created their own player, it has locked Kontakt user from making use of Garritan.

I am not trying to put down ARIA, but it doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities of Kontakt.
(Especially for live applications, which is my main concern.)

It does seem strange that they would shrink their customer base by such a move.
I would think that surely there is a way to get it to work.
Maybe I will have to try calling Garritan.

It is very frustrating to drop $450 on a library that can't be used.

C24K

Postby rbowser » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 am

C24K wrote:I have been asking around Native Instruments forum and it seems that after Garritan encrypted their files and created their own player

Originally, Garritan instruments used Kontakt Player as its sampler playback engine. Garritan remained partnered with Native Instruments a number of years, but problems kept happening with every KP update. Garritan instruments kept being partially broekn as NS kept doing updates that weren't being done in sync with the Garritan team.

It became clear that Garritan needed independence, and shouldn't need to rely on a 2nd party program for the Libraries to work. ARIA was developed with Plogue - Now that mission has been accomplished. ARIA replaces Kontakt Player, and Garritan is directly in control of how the Libraries function in the necessary sample engine. The marriage between instruments interface is a much better one now.

I used to think it would be impossible to open a Garritan Library in anything but ARIA, and that made sense to me. Everyone I was aware of used ARIA/Garritan in either DAW software for producing recordings, or in notation programs for producing scores. Up until recently, it's been so extremely rare to hear of someone wanting to play the instruments live, that I barely thought about that unusual usage at all.

However--! As I said in my earlier reply, I do know that people who want to dig into some programming have adapted Garritan to be used in Kontakt. One bit of info I recall reading, is that the .audio files used for the Garritan samples can be opened in Audacity - ! That really surprised me - I haven't tried it, because I have no interest in re-doing anything that's already in place with the samples. But-- that's one bit of info.

As for the rest - I have no idea how it works. If you do a good internet search, surely you'll find some helpful info.

But I understand your situation - You're only playing music live, and it doesn't work to use two different sampler at the same time. You want all of your sound sources to be loaded in one player - Kontakt. That, of course, makes sense.

C24K wrote:...It does seem strange that they would shrink their customer base by such a move.

Well, the samples were never designed to work in more than one player. As sketched in above, there were issues that developed with NS, and it was a good decision to port the Libraries from KP to their own independent sample player, and of course the samples are still intended to work only in one sampler. "Intended" being the operative word.

I Do think you'll discover the people who have programmed Garritan instruments for Kontakt if you do some searching - The process may be complicated, I don't know - but start searching. I sure wouldn't contact Garritan for advice - "Hi - Um, I'd like to hack your instruments so I can use them in a different sample player, Ok?"--- That wouldn't go over too big.

C24K wrote:...It is very frustrating to drop $450 on a library that can't be used...

All advertising for the Garritan Libraries, the single collections as well as The Ultimate Collection plainly include the information that the instruments are powered by ARIA. That shouldn't have been a surprise before the purchase.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby C24K » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 pm

rbowser wrote: One bit of info I recall reading, is that the .audio files used for the Garritan samples can be opened in Audacity - !

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to check that out.
I would really like to use Garritan.
I purchased it after listening to the samples.
They are really good!

rbowser wrote:
All advertising for the Garritan Libraries, the single collections as well as The Ultimate Collection plainly include the information that the instruments are powered by ARIA. That shouldn't have been a surprise before the purchase.

I realized that they were powered by Aria, but I had also found several posts about it being used in Kontakt and didn't realize that it was their older versions.

C24K