MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Getting GPO to Work In Digital Performer

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Getting GPO to Work In Digital Performer

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 am

Hello All,

Just purchased GPO and trying to use it as a plug in in Digital Performer but its not showing up. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
EB

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d.v5545, GPO 5, MOTU`s Digital Performer 8, Waves plug-ins, Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 7, Yamaha CP300, Apple Computers, Equator D5 monitors, ATH-M50 headphones

Re: Getting GPO to Work In Digital Performer

Postby rbowser » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 am

Ernest Buckley wrote:Hello All,

Just purchased GPO and trying to use it as a plug in in Digital Performer but its not showing up. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
EB

Hi, Ernest - I don't use DP, and I know it's a bit different from most DAW software, and yet it still has much in common with others. From the info I just now looked up online, it looks like you just scan the plugin folder after placing new plugins in DP's master plugin folder. That's the way all music software works - Place the plugin file in a folder, run program's scan routine so it can register the new plugins. Then, everything in the folder will be available when building projects.

Here's one thing I found:

How to enable plugins in DP

But - It's very possible none of that is news to you. Maybe you've already placed the appropriate files where they belong and you've used DP's scanning routine--?

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Randy,

I`m familiar with that tactic but for some reason the GPO files did not go into a folder that DP recognizes. I just installed some Waves plug ins the other day and the files automatically showed up in Digital Performer. So I guess my question is:

Which GPO file needs to go into what DP folder?

Thanks,
EB

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:
Finale 2014d.v5545, GPO 5, MOTU`s Digital Performer 8, Waves plug-ins, Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 7, Yamaha CP300, Apple Computers, Equator D5 monitors, ATH-M50 headphones

Postby rbowser » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Digital Performer 9 User Guide

On page 839 it shows where the locations should be for AUs and VSTs, depending on your OS and what kind of plugins you're wanting to use. If the ARIA plugins aren't where they need to be, search your computer, find their location, and place copies in the folders indicated on that page.

And do understand that it's not GPO you'll be loading in DP, but rather ARIA, the sample player. GPO's instruments are then loaded inside ARIA.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much for all the research. I was reading page 839 in the user manual before I posted here today… I hate asking questions when the answer is in the manual… however, it was unclear as to what needed to be placed where from the manual… what else is new with the MOTU manual? Anyway, thats a gripe for another day…. another thread.

So… I`ll try placing ARIA in the DP folder and cross my fingers… I don`t know why that was not put into the GPO manual or ARIA Quick starter… which I breezed through both and did not see anything… Did I miss it?

Lastly, this has nothing to do with GPO or maybe it does but when I went into Finale today and pressed play, it quit on me… I`m wondering if this has anything to do with GPO/ARIA???

So confused…. I hate this stage of learning new software and trying to get it to work with everything else… its temporary I know but still…. frustrating.

Thanks for all your help!
EB

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:

Postby rbowser » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Ernest Buckley wrote:...it was unclear as to what needed to be placed where from the manual... I`ll try placing ARIA in the DP folder and cross my fingers...
Lastly, this has nothing to do with GPO or maybe it does but when I went into Finale today and pressed play, it quit on me… I`m wondering if this has anything to do with GPO/ARIA?...

Theoretically, where the various files should be placed is straight-forward, and should be handled by the installer, as long as you select the options you want during installation. I think you're seeing scant information on the specifics, because the info itself is scant. All recording programs work in the same way, in the sense that whatever plugins it's going to be using need to be in a centrally located folder, and then the program has to scan the contents to register new plugins.

My only experience is with Windows, but in looking at what Mac users have to do, I don't notice any dramatic differences, and both involve just following the on-screen prompts.

In case this is any help, here's what's what on my Windows machine:

All Garritan related items, both the Libraries and ARIA plugin files are found in-

Program Files>Garritan>

My VST files for ARIA are in:

Program Files>Garritan>ARIA Player>VST

The VST files are:

ARIA Player Multi VST_x64.dll
ARIA Player Multi VST_x86.dll
ARIA Player VST_x64.dll
ARIA Player VST_86.dll

When ARIA was installed, those files went to that above location, and also Sonar's VST folder. The installer already knew where my general VST folder was located - If it didn't already know, I had the option during installation to direct it to the right location:

Program Files>Cakewalk>Vstplugins

An explanation of those four different ARIA VST .dll files listed above:

The Multi .dll files (both 32 bit and 64 bit) have 16 stereo audio outs available from ARIA. The other .dll files simply labeled "VST" have just one stereo audio out in ARIA, and that's the version used in notation programs that deal with single audio channels.

I know all of this is specific to a different OS and a different recording program - But I think it's analogous enough to your set up that it could be helpful.

As you indicated, starting up with new software is always difficult and potentially frustrating. Things that turn out to be very simple can seem monumental at first, until they're understood.

SO - That's about all I can do. You will be needing more info and feedback from fellow DP users, so I hope some notice your thread!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Ernest Buckley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks again Randy.

I may try removing and re-installing GOP… usually everything lines up… and I don`t have these issues but from time to time software misbehaves. I had this issue with Waves plug ins for years but they seemed to have fixed the issue of late. I also found this info on the Garritson site when I finally get DP to see GPO… this link may be useful for any future DP user.

http://www.garritan.com/UserManuals/GarritanIntegration/#digital_performer.htm%3FTocPath%3DDigital%20Performer%7C_____0

Ernest Buckley

Software Owned:

Postby rbowser » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Ernest Buckley wrote:...I may try removing and re-installing GOP…

OK, there's always that. I take it this means you don't find your GPO installation in the correct folder, but you have copied and pasted the .dll files where DP needs them - if they weren't there in the plugin folder?

If you do re-install, be sure to look at each on-screen prompt, otherwise you could end up with the same apparently incorrect installation.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626