MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Custom scala scales not working

For solving technical issues involving installation, operation, bug reports and troubleshooting

Custom scala scales not working

Postby Eric W. Barndollar » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi all,

I can't get ARIA player to load & apply any custom scala scale files. The included scale files in C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\Scales\ load & sound correctly, but no other .scl files work (even when placed in that same Scales folder). When I try to load any other .scl file, the filename shows up in the Scala File field UI, but the sound remains unchanged (actual tuning stays on whatever scale was loaded previously).

I'm running GPO4 on ARIA Player v1.620 with ARIA Engine v1.670 (Win x64). Found http://www.ariaengine.com/faq/index.php ... artlang=en by searching online, so it sounds like there was a previous bug here, but that report implies the issue was already fixed. I'm running the latest version of ARIA, though, and it seems like this bug is still happening.

I'm strongly considering whether to buy Garritan World Instruments, but if custom scales don't work, then it won't really add any value for me.

Anyone else running into this issue? Thanks!

Eric W. Barndollar

Re: Custom scala scales not working

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Eric W. Barndollar wrote:...I can't get ARIA player to load & apply any custom scala scale files...it sounds like there was a previous bug here, but that report implies the issue was already fixed. I'm running the latest version of ARIA, though, and it seems like this bug is still happening.

I'm strongly considering whether to buy Garritan World Instruments, but if custom scales don't work, then it won't really add any value for me...

Odd! You're certainly right, Eric, that the Scala Import feature had a bug that was supposedly fixed. I've never tried to add additional Scala files, so hadn't realized it's still not working.

I'm sure you understand that there are quite a few Scala files available in ARIA - but you have need for yet more, hence your problem.

You need to contact MM Support and submit a case ticket - They're good at replying with whatever help and/or information they can provide. I hope you do that, and when you get a reply from them, you could share the results on your thread here.

Garritan World is an incredible, large collection of international instruments - I understand you want the Scala Import to work, but I just wanted to say there's a lot of value to be had in World even without alternate tunings.

Hopefully all will be fixed and you'll be inspired to add World to your software instrument collection.

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Eric W. Barndollar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks, Randy! MM support case submitted--I'll update this thread w/ any response I get.

Eric W. Barndollar

Postby Eric W. Barndollar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Aha! The problem here was that I was saving my SCL files with UTF-8 character encoding (which is what most programmers have their text editors set to do). Saving the SCL files with ANSI character encoding instead works.

(I did suggest that some kind of error message would be helpful if ARIA can't parse & load an SCL file!)

Eric W. Barndollar

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Eric W. Barndollar wrote:Aha! The problem here was that I was saving my SCL files with UTF-8 character encoding...Saving the SCL files with ANSI character encoding instead works...

You figured it out! Excellent, Eric - I don't have any experience trying to use 3rd party SCL files, so I don't understand why it wasn't just a matter of downloading found files, unzipping (if needed) and placing them in the folder. Why did you have to do anything with encoding--? Why weren't they already written and saved in the needed format?

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Eric W. Barndollar » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:22 am

Because I create my own :)

I've used my UTF-8 encoded SCL files with other software before, but it seems like the ARIA software is a little less flexible around this. But easy enough to convert...

Eric W. Barndollar

Postby rbowser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 am

Eric W. Barndollar wrote:Because I create my own :)

I've used my UTF-8 encoded SCL files with other software before, but it seems like the ARIA software is a little less flexible around this. But easy enough to convert...

Ah! I see. Very cool you got it straight. Now - go get World while the Garritan Libraries are still on sale! That ends tomorrow.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby plgDavid » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 am

Hello

Thanks for the report, it will be an easy fix for next ARIA Engine release.
Cheers

David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
Montreal. http://www.plogue.com
plgDavid

Postby ascomposer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:04 am

Eric W. Barndollar wrote:Aha! The problem here was that I was saving my SCL files with UTF-8 character encoding (which is what most programmers have their text editors set to do). Saving the SCL files with ANSI character encoding instead works.

(I did suggest that some kind of error message would be helpful if ARIA can't parse & load an SCL file!)

Hi, I'm having the same problem with custom Scala files in Garritan. I use H-Pi's Custom Scale Editor to create my scales, every octave is different. When I import them into Garritan they are very out of tune. I've submitted a case to MM but they can't help me. I bought Garritan specifically to use my custom scales so it's no good to me at the moment.
Reading this thread, I'm thinking my issue may have the same cause. I have no idea how to save my SCL files with ANSI encoding. I also have Scala (which I haven't used yet as the H-Pi software works fine for me). Can you help?

ascomposer

Postby rbowser » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:46 am

ascomposer, I still have no experience working with importing scala files, but may have the answer to your question.

On this thread, Eric W. Barndollar initially had trouble with his custom scales, but fixed the problem when he discovered ARIA requires ANSI files. You're asking how to save your files in ANSI also. -- I think I have the re-cap of this topic correct.

Microsoft's Notepad, a text application that comes with Windows, uses ANSI code by default. I think that if you paste your file into Notepad and save it, that you should then be able to import that copy. Worth a try at least. What I do know is that you don't need to tinker around to get an ANSI file with Notepad, since that's its default.

RB

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626