MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

mod wheel needs constant reset

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

mod wheel needs constant reset

Postby Quiet Bear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 am

I'm using Sonar X2. Every time I return to previous measures to record or edit a measure using GPO5 or IO, I must constantly reset the mod wheel levels in Aria. I tried setting them individually and then "recording" all channels, but Aria does not seem to remember that the Mod wheel has been reset from zero.
Has anyone else had this problem, and hopefully solved it?
Jack, The Quiet Bear.

Quiet Bear

Re: mod wheel needs constant reset

Postby Derrek » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Have you tried setting it w/ a CC message in Sonar? I know in Finale the Aria Player often takes its internal settings from messages set by Finale.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:51 am

Don't forget too that CC#1 is also CC#2 and CC#11 for most instruments. It's in the manual.
CC#1 is really just a surrogate expression or breath controller.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Quiet Bear » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:10 pm

John: I'm still having trouble finding a GPO4, or GPO5 Manual online. Like you, I like to read my manuals in bed before sleep. My Sonar and Finale manuals are almost worn out.
If you know how, could you guide me to a place that I might find such a manual? My wife bought me a tablet so that I'll stop keeping her awake with the bedlight. If I could find the manual online I could use the tablet.
I'm such an illiterate, I never knew about box.com before. So far, I haven't needed to use the cloud, but I guess that time is coming.
Once more, thanks for all of your help. If you might have a "musical" question that needs an answer or opinion I would be more than happy to return the many favors you've done here for me.
Jack, the Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Postby Derrek » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:43 pm

The online manual for GPO5 is at
https://usermanuals.garritan.com/GPO5/Content/Contents.htm

Can't find a PDF manual; wish I could.

(Info w/ the thumb-drive install says to go to the plug-n or standalone and click the question-mark button. My player has no question-mark button but does have a Get Help button, but that takes one to the general Garritan support page.)

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby SysExJohn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 am

Quiet Bear wrote:John: I'm still having trouble finding a GPO4, or GPO5 Manual online. Like you, I like to read my manuals in bed before sleep. My Sonar and Finale manuals are almost worn out.
If you know how, could you guide me to a place that I might find such a manual? My wife bought me a tablet so that I'll stop keeping her awake with the bedlight. If I could find the manual online I could use the tablet.
I'm such an illiterate, I never knew about box.com before. So far, I haven't needed to use the cloud, but I guess that time is coming.
Once more, thanks for all of your help. If you might have a "musical" question that needs an answer or opinion I would be more than happy to return the many favors you've done here for me.
Jack, the Quiet Bear

Jack,
The solution, I found, was to go to the GPO5 html manual, on-line, not the one that comes with GPO5, it's the one that Derrek has just posted the link to, and you'll see a little printer icon at the top, over to the right. I then went through the thing, making sure to open all the sub-sections, the icon to the left of the printer icon opens all sections, and I just printed them out. Not the most elegant of solutions, I grant you, a manual in pdf from would be much better IMHO, but there you go. They probably lost their pdf author when they moved to Colorado.

I painstakingly printed out the html so I could read about the additions to GPO4.

The key section to print is "Loading Instruments and Making Sounds.

The other option is to download the manual for GPO4.
It sets out the majority of the rules that still apply to GPO5.
Of course there are new instruments.
The PO4 manual can be found here: http://www.garritan.com/user-manuals/.

Thanks for the offer of help with music, I have a fair grasp of it all now, dealing with transposing instruments, bow marks, annotation in several languages, etc.
I'm just working my way through the second theory book as published by the ABRSM.

The thing I struggle with is creating realisations from a figured bass, I do more than a few realisations of Bach cantatas (my wife's a mezzo soprano), but I think it's just a case of practise, practise, practise.

A couple of weeks ago I bought us a digital piano, a Casio PX-560. We're delighted with it.
I'm learning to play properly ... at last.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.