MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 Overlay?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

GPO5 Overlay?

Postby Quiet Bear » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:17 pm

In GPO5, what do the instruments with "Overlay" in their name mean? How does one use the "Overlay" feature? My downloaded manual doesn't say anything about this term.
Once again thanks to all who have helped me, You have made a difference.
Jack, the Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Re: GPO5 Overlay?

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 am

The overlay instruments are meant to be used in conjunction with a regular instrument of the same type. They are sampled at f and ff levels to add to the massiveness of a group sound.

According to the GPO4 manual they're intended to: "Add 'body', increase contrast from soft to loud, give an impression of larger section size, give greater control over strong articulations".

Any help?
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Quiet Bear » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 pm

John: Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I should get a manual for GPO 4. There seems to be an assumption that all users of GPO 5 are upgraders. Does GPO 4 go into more detail than GPO 5 manual.
I just spent about 4 hours (that I could have been writing) trying to get my windriver to work with GPO 5. I finally was successful, but found out that the signal from the windriver needs to be stronger, if not I will be blowing my brains out trying to emulate a mod wheel as I play each track into the Program. I need a MIDI amplifier.
Jack the Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:17 am

The good thing about GPO4 was that the manual was in pdf format.
I can't understand why they didn't do the same for GPO5.

That meant it could be printed, which is what I tend to do with all/most manuals, unless they're hundreds of pages, but even then I print sections of them.
I like to read a section thoroughly to understand it fully. I just can't seem to do that with an html based help file.

I think the GPO4 manual is available from the support part of the Garritan web site.
If not I'll find a copy and put it on box.com for you.
If you have some printing facilities then print from about page 40 onward.
The earlier pages are about initial set up, which are pretty common to all the libraries.
Although this document refers to the older Aria player it still provides the basics, then one can go to the new material.

Never heard of a MIDI amplifier before. Do such things exist?

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby David Gaines » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:52 pm

SysExJohn wrote:The good thing about GPO4 was that the manual was in pdf format.
I can't understand why they didn't do the same for GPO5. That meant it could be printed, which is what I tend to do with all/most manuals, unless they're hundreds of pages, but even then I print sections of them.

The GPO5 manual can absolutely be printed and it's easy to do so. There's a printer icon in the upper right corner of every page (see attached PNG file).

DG

Attachments
GPO5 Manual Printer Icon.png
GPO5 Manual Printer Icon.png (97.16 KB) Viewed 2737 times
David Gaines

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, 2010b / Aria Player 1.5 / Vienna Instruments build 9753 / Vienna Ensemble 4.1 / Kontakt 5
Cakewalk Sonar X1 Studio / Audacity 2.0 / Garritan GPO 5.01/COMB 2/JABB 3/World Instruments
Vienna Symphonic Library SE & Individual Downloads / Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5.5

Postby SysExJohn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:09 am

Thanks David,

Yes, I knew that, but it's not a patch on the properly printed manual with a colour front cover, and still not as easy to read as a properly formatted manual. I have printed parts of the GPO5 html manual.

I must admit that the on-line html manual must be easier to keep up to date.

John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned: