MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

What does SAM in GPO5 stand for

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

What does SAM in GPO5 stand for

Postby Quiet Bear » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:14 am

What does SAM in GPO5 stand for. I'm maybe buying GPO 5, but I'd like to know as much as possible first. Probably a dumb question, but it's not my first one.
Thanks
Jack, Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Re: What does SAM in GPO5 stand for

Postby drumroll » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi Jack,

Those are samples from Project SAM included with GPO.

https://www.projectsam.com/Home

Enjoy GPO and welcome to the family!

drumroll

Software Owned:
GPO4
IO
Finale 2009

Postby Quiet Bear » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Many thanks to you, drumroll. You opened me up to a whole 'nother world of learning.
I keep thinking what would some of the great composers do with this software?
As a conductor/arranger for many military bands and orchestras (US NAVY), I'm really excited about writing again. I had stopped 'cause I didn't have my own copyists anymore, not to mention a lack of an orchestra like I used to.
Are you a writer, arranger etc?
Many Thanks,
Jack the Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:38 am

Welcome Jack,

You say you're looking at GPO5.
Given your background, have you taken a look at another Garritan product known as CoMB (or CaMB), Concert and Marching Band?

I had GPO4, and now 5, but I bought CoMB too because it has some extras, combinations and drums that aren't really orchestral, more band oriented.
Then you can mix and match from both libraries.

It might be of interest.
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Quiet Bear » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 am

Hello SysExJohn,
I see by your address that I used to live just around the corner from you, (Pleides).
I'm sure that I'll be checking out the Concert Band software in the near future. Right now I'll have my brain being filled with orchestra stuff.
I am attempting to use my Sonar X2 Daw with my MIDI winddriver and Garritan GPO and IO and JAAB. Lots of hoops to jump through.
I am curious to know if there are any Manuals for IO and GPO other than the ones that I have down loaded. Perhaps there might be techniques that others have used with Garritan and Sonar.
If you hear of or know of anything that might speed up my learning curve I would love to know about it. In the meantime I'll keep looking at this forum.
Jack, the Quiet Bear

Quiet Bear

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:38 am

Hello Jack (my father's name was Jack),

Aha! A close neighbour. I'm thinking of moving (concerns about imminent supernova).

Techniques, yes indeed, getting the best from any of the Garritan libraries is about learning control, literally MIDI control.

As a starter, if you can, play in musical phrases, if not, then buy a cheap MIDI controller keyboard and devote some time to learning to play a little. This, probably above anything else, will make the music sound 'realistic', human and not computerised. But buy a cheap keyboard anyway I would say. (I have a tiny, cheap 25 note Graphite 25 keyboard that sits beside me, and I can pull onto my lap when I need it. Plus a better keyboard elsewhere.)

Even if you don't do the above, learn to use the mod wheel, even if you are using it on step sequenced or notation entered music. It makes so much difference to all string and wind instruments to get some expression into them. It can be drawn in in a controller pane, usually found at the foot of a PRV (piano roll view), but it sounds more natural when 'played' in.
You can, of course, use an expression pedal instead, or a breath controller.

Start out using auto legato (cc#102 on=127) shortly after the start of the first note of a phrase but before the start of the next. Switch it off again shortly after the start of the last note of a phrase. This can be done most easily in List View in most DAW software. Only the first note of a phrase needs a suitably controlled Note On Velocity. The other notes should have their velocity reduced. How much is a matter of preference. Some I know reduce them to the minimum.

For non-sustaining instruments, e.g. piano, and pizzicato notes, etc., which respond to note velocity not expression, then vary the note on velocity considerably to get human expression into it.

Getting the balance correct between instruments in an orchestra is the first thing to start with.
Gradually add instruments and check out the loudest dynamic you will use. As you add instruments you may find that you create too much volume. Back everything off a little. That's the volume controls in the mixer tab (controlled by MIDI cc#7 in each MIDI channel). Digital recording has a maximum volume known as 0dB. Exceeding this leads to clipping and horrible distortion. Keep the maximum combined signal a dB or two below this level.

You can probably find a lot more by browsing past posts over at the original Garritan forum at Northern Sounds. Gary spent quite some time there back in the very early days of his libraries, before I started with GPO4. Try Garritan over at Northern Sounds.

You can drop the SysEx if you want.
It's a 'handle' I picked up back in the early nineties when I used to use hardware synths and sound modules. My day job was in programming, telecommunications and data transmission protocols, so working out MIDI System Exclusive messages, to program synths, was straightforward for me. Don't seem to do much of that any more = more time for the music.

There's not much discussion here about technique.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Quiet Bear » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:08 pm

John;
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I can ask another question of you. What does the "overlay" mean in some of the instruments in GPO5, and how is it meant to be used (applied)?

I have been looking at using a MIDI expression pedal. MAudio makes one for their keyboards. I'm not sure just how compatible it is with other keyboards. It might be a familiar feel for me as a former Jazz organist (Hammond B3). I have quite a few Keyboards here as my wife is a classical and jazz organist and pianist. She is also an accompanist for theater shows when they come down here from broadway.
Yeah, she can read anything at sight. If I write something too difficult for me to play I just call on her. We have worked many years as a trio with our favorite drummer.
I play horns primarily, Brass and Woodwinds. We are still called to back up many acts as they travel through on the touring circuit. I'm glad that I don't do that anymore (travel.)
She and I also wrote arrangements for Columbia Pictures, and have quite a few books published.
Mostly, I am having good luck with my MIDI windriver as an input controller with the GPO, IO, and JAAB programs. It fingers just like may sax and the CC#1 breath control gives me a real expressive input. I would think that the MAudio pedal, if it is compatible, would be an excellent tool when using Keyboard as an input.
I am learning a lot by watching the various tutorials that you helped me discover. I can't thank you enough!
Yeah, we have been "Finale" users since the eighties when we used the very first Finale program came out. I have not yet gotten around to importing some of my Finale arrangements into Garritan. After writing a chart in Finale, I would just play the parts live into Sonar with the windriver. I'll be trying to use my windriver as a composing tool this week. Ill let you know how that goes with some classical style music.
By the way, our first foray into Sci Fi productions was back in 1976 with a series call "Sounds in Space". We sold quite a few Tapes to Planetariums around the country. We created these pieces using 4, and later 8 track tape machines, (primitive.) We used to have tape loops running around furniture to make echoes and other delays, (more primitive.)
Trust me, if Stravinsky, Wagner, and those other guys would have had DAW's, It's scary to think what we might be listening to now. I'll keep you apprised as to my successes and failures. Perhaps we can find some short cuts around the tech and get right to the composing.
Jack, the Quiet Bear.

Quiet Bear

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 am

Hello Jack,

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with your background, and wish that life had allowed me to do more in the sphere of music. But, no regrets.

My contributions in the field of music have come much later in life, creating some rehearsal and backing tracks for my wife who's a semi-professional operatic mezzo soprano.
Although I did learn to play the oboe and the flute a little many, many years ago (half a century).
My work commitments didn't allow the time or energy to carry it through to any sort of professional level though, sadly. I'm trying to learn to play an EWI4000.

So glad you found some tutorials over at the other place.

Just to clarify, and being a bit pedantic, the modulation wheel is not, strictly MIDI speaking, the breath control, that would be MIDI controller #2 (cc#2=breath), as transmitted e.g. by an Akai EWI4000. But the Garritan GPO expression can be controlled by all of cc#1 (modulation), cc#2 (breath) and cc#11 (expression) as standard. They all modulate the volume of legato instruments.

For most people, having the mod wheel as a loudness control makes the input of expression extremely easy on a modern keyboard. Having the other options (cc#2 and #11) caters for all comers.

Clearly it makes sense just to use one of them. But it means you can use your expression pedal, as long as it transmits MIDI cc#11, without having to mess around with re-assigning controls.

I use a fairly ancient program (Yamaha XGworks ST, about 15 years old) to do all my input.
It has notation, with many of the scoring markers affecting how the MIDI notes are created.
It has PRV (piano roll view) with up to three visible controller panes.
It has a really good List View as well as an audio mixer and so on.
It allows VST instruments as well as effects.

I have used Sonar, Cubase and several others, but always come back to this one as the quickest and easiest, for me, for creating the audio from MIDI.

I don't know if you've noticed but I have my own MIDI tutorials forum too?

Back to Weinachts Oratorium "Beriete dich, Zion".

Kind regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned: