MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Extending that range of an instrument

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Extending that range of an instrument

Postby XR_Racer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:24 pm

I am copying a Brass Quintet piece and I have Personal Orchestra 5. It seems that the range for tuba only goes to Low Bb and I get no sound for anything below that. I have chosen advanced range in Finale view so I don't get the orange note heads that would indicate out of range notes, but I can't hear them. Is there a way to extend the sounding range in the Aria player?

XR_Racer

Re: Extending that range of an instrument

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:26 am

You're quite right in saying that the lowest note for the tuba is a low Bb.
It's so for all the Tubas in the library, including the contra-tuba.

There is a way of extending the range of an instrument by editing the SFZ file that describes how the samples are played back. I made such a modification recently to the choir voices over on the Finale forum. It can be done quite simply using a text editor such as NotePad on a PC.

(Of course, such modifications are one's own tweaks to the Garritan supplied library, but are the plus side of owning a library that uses an open standard such as the SFZ format.)

In this case, the sample of the low C (MIDI note #24) is already extended to play at Bb (MIDI note #22), but it could, potentially, be dropped even further. How natural it would sound, is another matter. (Suck it and see! ;-) )

Just how far do you want to drop it?

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby kastra » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi XR_Racer and welcome to the forum :) !

I must confess I'm a little confused about the background to this issue (specifically the source material), but I'll make a "stab in the dark" anyway.

As John says, the lowest note on a bass tuba (and in the library) is a low Bb (MIDI note 22) He is also correct, of course, in saying that the sample can be stretched below that. Before you make your score impossible to play, however, (and/or make your "virtual tuba player" sound like he's suffering from extreme flatulence ;) ) perhaps I could venture an explanation for the issue that you appear to be experiencing in Finale.

The lowest written note for a tuba part is the Bb below the bass clef staff (nominally MIDI note 34). The tuba, however, is a transposing instrument that sounds an octave below the notation (so your "low Bb" actually sounds an octave below that - hence MIDI note 22). Unfortunately, one of Finale's "endearing little quirks" is that it honours transposition during playback but not during editing! This means that you'll actually hear the note you've written rather than the one you want played! As if that wasn't enough chaos to deal with, Finale also applies the "out of range test" to the written notes rather than the sounding notes - so you won't get the orange note head indicator until you write notes below the lowest sounding notes! Apparently this long standing bug ("feature request"? :roll: ) is scheduled to be corrected in the next version but when that's due is anybody's guess ...

I hope I've got the right end of the stick here and that you can get enough sense out of the above to inform your progress (if not then "as you were" :oops: ). Right now, however, I'm afraid I need a nap - my brain hurts :? !

Kind regards,

Keith

kastra

Software Owned:
GPO5.01
GPO4.02
JABB3
GWI
Finale 2014.5
REAPER 5+
Sforzando

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:04 am

Thanks for jumping in here, Keith.

I knew about the "transposing instrument" bit of your post, but not the nice little (?) quirks that Finale introduces just to make notation entry that little bit more exciting (!).

Transposing an octave is, of course, easy peasy. Where I frequently get stuck is with older scores with old horns with 'crooks' and the ubiquitous oboe da caccia and oboe d'amore with their fifths and minor thirds, etc.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby XR_Racer » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks Guys. What do I do then when I write an F below the bass clef staff, which is playable but not sounding when I play it in or during playback? What I have discovered is that if I use the Garritan orchestra for Finale, the pitches sound. When I use Personal Orchestra 5, they do not.

Thoughts?

XR_Racer

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:35 am

Hmmm!

Could it, I wonder, be something to do with the 'rules' files that need to be loaded with into Finale to make it work correctly? I'm no expert with this but there's a support article that describes what to do. (There's also been some discussion over at the Finale forum on a similar problem.)

Try here: Garritan/Finale support and look at the article about "Setting up Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 in Finale and PrintMusic", that may be of help.

Regards,
John.

SysExJohn

Software Owned:

Postby XR_Racer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:36 am

Ok, I think I got it figured out. I needed to change the channel for each of the instruments while keeping them all from bank 1. I used the preset Brass Quintet Ensemble, but the settings were not automatically set correctly. I am hearing the tuba sounding correctly along with the other instruments as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

XR_Racer

Postby Jerry Kryst » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 am

Hence, it develops into essential that the existing and electrical energy being deliberate be condensed and brilliant writings brought within the range of instrument.

Jerry Kryst