MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO 5: Solo Violin: Modulating Vibrato

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

GPO 5: Solo Violin: Modulating Vibrato

Postby imagegod » Mon May 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Quick question:

Which is the best solo violin patch in GPO 5 for modulating vibrato (assuming one exists). And which CC number is used in this modulation?

Many thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

Surface Pro 3, i7 1.7/2.3 GHz, Windows 10, 8GB SSD, GPO 5, Overture 5, Omnisphere 2
imagegod

Re: GPO 5: Solo Violin: Modulating Vibrato

Postby Derrek » Mon May 02, 2016 5:46 pm

I don't believe GPO 5 violins can modulate vibrato.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby imagegod » Tue May 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks...that's what I thought.

That's too bad...whatever happened to the 'Strad'? As a matter of fact, whatever happened to Mr. G? It's certainly not the same without his active presence.

In any case, I purchased solo violins with vibrato modulation from Embertone...really great stuff. Is it considered bad form posting the name of another company?

Feel free to delete if so...if not, I've done my due diligence, and without a lot of experience with my new toys, I must say Embertone strings do just about everything I want from an expressive single instrument... :mrgreen:

Surface Pro 3, i7 1.7/2.3 GHz, Windows 10, 8GB SSD, GPO 5, Overture 5, Omnisphere 2
imagegod

Postby SysExJohn » Wed May 04, 2016 2:38 am

Just to add a little perspective ...

You've paid almost as much for a single instrument, $125 presumably, for their violin, compared to $149.95 for GPO5 which is a complete orchestra with hundreds of instruments.
Would you say that it's a fair comparison?

Would you be prepared to lay out another $125 for a single viola and another $125 for a single cello and another ... woodwinds, brass, percussion.

And the Strad samples are still within GPO4 and 5. You just need to look.
The difference is that Garritan is no longer locked into Kontakt but uses a sample playback system that is 'open', namely sfz.

However, like you, I believe GPO would be massively more useful with strings and especially violins, that respond to vibrato modulation. But I do understand that it's not easy to program realistic sounding strings. They nearly always sound somewhat artificial.

Mr.G has never been an 'active' presence here. He's dropped in from time to time.
He used to be active on the Northern Sounds forum way back. But hasn't made an appearance there for some years.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby imagegod » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 am

Hey, Mr. SysEx:

I agree with you...I was just looking for a simple solo violin vibrato patch. Moreover, I think GPO 5 is a great value...one of the greatest out there. I'm a big fan!

I don't know how difficult it is to emulate vibrato, (given the existing samples in GPO 5), but if it's in anyway possible, it certainly would be an appreciated update. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

imagegod

Postby SysExJohn » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am

Hi there, Mr. IG:

Well, it certainly isn't possible with the existing GPO samples, they already have vibrato in them and I haven't found a way of removing it without destroying the sound.

Getting a a non-vibrato sound to work with in the first place is difficult. String players tend to add vibrato without thinking, and find it grossly unnatural to play without.

However, if you do manage to record a vibrato-less(?) sample, just applying an LFO (low frequency oscillator) whose frequency modulates the frequency of the sample, and is linked to a MIDI cc, so can be controlled by the end user, somehow sounds less than natural.

Hence ... not easy.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby sandalwood » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:30 am

SysExJohn wrote:Just to add a little perspective ...

And the Strad samples are still within GPO4 and 5. You just need to look.
The difference is that Garritan is no longer locked into Kontakt but uses a sample playback system that is 'open', namely sfz.

In an 2013 post you say there are even NV regions in the Strad samples but inaccessible all the same. Is there any way these legacy/Kontakt treasures could be made available to the ordinary F2014 user?

sandalwood