MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 and Aria

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

GPO5 and Aria

Postby tedvanya » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:17 pm

All is OK with GPO5, so I created my usual template in Aria. When I was attempting to load an other harp, a message said Aria has not enough memory to load it.
I checked at settings, and found that the memory is 256 MB Max.
According to the computer I have 1.5 gig free memory. (I have 8 gigs). It said that these are for experienced people, I am not, so I did not dare to change anything. Is it possible to change the available memory? Can I do it?
The same template was not a problem in GPO4, I had three instances loaded.
Make Music answered my question regarding downloading Aria 1.860, and were very helpful and prompt.

Ted

tedvanya

Re: GPO5 and Aria

Postby Rich936 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I have a simple question for you just to make sure. Are you running ARIA 32 bit by mistake and not ARIA 64 bit? There is not as much memory available in 32 bit. At least that is my understanding.

Rich936

Postby tedvanya » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks for your answer. No, I am running 64.
Just checked the old Aria in GPO4 and there the max memory is 512, not 256mb.
An other interesting problem is that if I load a GPO4 file, the Aria 1.86 loads up, nothing is loaded in Aria,( should have been, t was saved with GPO4 sounds) I guess you HAVE to load GPO5 sounds, while my GPO4 is still there... Or, a question, how can I load older GPO4 files WITH GPO4 sounds?
Thanks again

Ted

tedvanya

Postby tedvanya » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Behaving respectfully in this Forum, which I have seldom visited, I still have to exercise slight criticism over the lack of participation of the Members.
It is not that in 6 days I have received only one answer, while 92 persons looked at my question. I you look at the number of visits/ responses, a very poor picture emerges, either because of lack of knowledge or because of disinterest. In both cases it is a sad situation. A dedicated and knowing person we need to pump some fresh air into this Forum. May I bring up the example of the Northernsound Forum, which benefited tremendously from one leading person, and as soon as this person left for other interests, that Forum also declined
There are so much talent among the Members, I call on one of you to give us your leadership and know-how. A little push some times gets the car out of of the hopeless situation. I think maybe Make Music should fill or encourage this type of "push", if for nothing else, for increased sales.
I hope you'll forgive my rambling, I mean well and only try to be helpful.

tedvanya

Postby Fleer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 pm

True, my question regarding samples download size got almost 50 views yet no answers, not even from you ;)

Mac rMBP 2.6 i7 16gb 2tb ssd, Logic, Notion, Reason, NI K10U, Omnisphere2, EW Fab Four, Ghostwriter, Gypsy, HB/HC/HS/HV/HW, Pianos, SC/SO, Spaces, SSL, VOP and GIO/GPO5 et alia
Fleer

Postby SysExJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:58 am

Ted,

Whilst I fully sympathise with your point of view, may I ask "how would you expect any end user to know about any problems or work-arounds with a product that has just been released? Not just the library of samples, but a new version of ARIA to boot".

The question might well be asked over at the Plogue forum where one might expect David Viens to look into it. I wouldn't have a clue, but count myself amongst the more technically savvy of end users after a long career in the IT industry. (I experiment and modify both the XML and SFZ files.)

Fleer,
The same applies. Why would you expect an end user to know the correct size of the sample libraries download? I have a PC (or two) not a Mac, so wouldn't have any idea. Someone from MM could have answered you, if they could be bothered.

<rant>
I do try my best to get over here regularly and answer questions as my time allows, but servicing others needs (who not infrequently forget to proffer thanks) is not my priority in life.
Any spare time I have goes into my own MIDI forum.

My own feeling is that if MakeMusic can't even be bothered to respond properly here (I had to cut and paste an answer from another forum) and this IS THEIR FORUM, then I personally don't feel inclined to act as an UNPAID member of their support team.

I'm sure Randy Bowser (from the Northern Sounds forum) who used to answer so many queries and for whom I have nothing but respect, ended up feeling the same. Just my POV.

Nor do I expect a bug in a loop point in a GPO4 instrument, which I reported maybe a year ago, to turn up again in GPO5, not amended. I shan't commit my opinion about that to print.

I do have an embryonic plan to write some articles about GPO5 and ARIA use and how to implement MIDI controls, but I'm holding off until they correct the faults (incorrectly implemented loop points in the sfz code for a few instruments), implement the missing instruments (there's a list at the end of this post), insert ALL the controls into ARIA interface (most, if not all, of the XML has already been written and is there, if you look) e.g. stereo stage and ADSR, and so forth.

It's clear that the release was rushed out to make the February deadline without everything being there.
</rant> ;)

Perhaps if we had just a modicum more support/participation from MM, I'd feel more inclined to participate too.

Just my tuppence worth, don't be offended please. I just had to get it off my chest! ;-)

John.

Missing instruments already in the GPO5 XML with samples and SFZ files:

02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Bass Trombone Solo KS
02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Trombone Solo KS
02 Brass/03 Trombones/SAM Trombone Section KS
02 Brass/04 Tubas/SAM Tuba Solo KS

03 Percussion/Bass Drum Aggressive
03 Percussion/Cymbals Extras
03 Percussion/Percussion Toys 2

04 Harps/Chromatic Harp 1 Lite
04 Harps/Chromatic Harp 2 Lite

05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo1
05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Duo2
05 Keyboards/Steinway Piano Lite

07 Full Choir/Full Choir Lite KS

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby tedvanya » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:03 am

John, thank you for your comment and that you took the time to set me right. I certainly would not feel offended, and truly appreciate and agree.
Please, please do write your help about GPO5, all of us would benefit from it.
No, I did not expect "ready knowledge" from the Membership, my comments were not even specifically about GPO5, I was looking at the history of the Forum, dealing with GPO 4 and other products, well into usage and into accumulated knowledge. And, yes, without any sign of MM interest in this Forum.
Thanks again, you are a bright spot for us.

Ted

tedvanya

Postby Derrek » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:28 am

If you are having difficulties implementing the new installation of GPO5 (especially involving possible memory issues) and have not filed a support case via the Garritan/MakeMusic web site, I would suggest you do. You have little to lose by doing so.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby Credo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:26 pm

tedvanya wrote:All is OK with GPO5, so I created my usual template in Aria. When I was attempting to load an other harp, a message said Aria has not enough memory to load it.
I checked at settings, and found that the memory is 256 MB Max.
According to the computer I have 1.5 gig free memory. (I have 8 gigs). It said that these are for experienced people, I am not, so I did not dare to change anything. Is it possible to change the available memory? Can I do it?
The same template was not a problem in GPO4, I had three instances loaded.
Make Music answered my question regarding downloading Aria 1.860, and were very helpful and prompt.

Ted

You can change it. When running multiple instances it's not a bad idea to increase max memory. It is my understanding that the total max memory applies to 'all instances combined'. If you're running some older versions of the Aria engine, I'd recommend that you upgrade to the latest available. Some of the older engines apparently had an issue where a new instance could over-ride the max memory and drop it to a lower setting.

Some time ago I had some issues with Aria and my hardware. My problem ultimately ended up being a bad batch of SSD drives that just hate streaming files; however, I did learn a great deal about how Aria manages memory throughout this thread: http://www.plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

I also found that the good folks at the Plogue forum were quick to reply and very helpful.

Sorry, I'd meant to make this post several days ago, but was on my way out the door to work so it got tabled till just now......

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby tedvanya » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am

Derek, thanks and yes, I am in touch with MM. Ted

tedvanya

Next