MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Snare drum roll?

Get tips and ideas on how to get the most out of Garritan libraries

Snare drum roll?

Postby sus4 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:07 am

How do I create a snare drum roll with a crescendo in JABB?

sus4

Software Owned:
Sibelius 7, Logic Express 9, JABB3

Re: Snare drum roll?

Postby Derrek » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 am

There is a specific sample for a snare drum roll.
How to manage a crescendo depends on what program you are using: Finale would require a different process than a DAW.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby sus4 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:35 am

Derrek,

Thanks for your response.
So, where do I find this specific sample for the snare drum roll?
I'm using Logic Pro X.

sus4

Software Owned:

Postby Credo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:40 pm

sus4 wrote:How do I create a snare drum roll with a crescendo in JABB?

With a quick glance at the JABB manual I didn't see snare a roll sample; however, you can build pretty much any rudiment you desire with a high degree of realism (most of the kits in JABB have a pretty good collection of multi-velocity samples to avoid a machine gun sounding effect).

If you need an open roll that is tempo-dependent, simply use your MIDI editor of choice to enter the notes for the instrument/key at a resolution of you choice.

Next, use MIDI 'note-on' velocity values (how hard one strikes the key or pad) so that the bounce stroke has a lower velocity (I.E. every other note).

You can build buzz rolls and such in a similar fashion by using smaller note values combined with more radical changes in note-on velocity.

For the crescendo, you can either ramp up the velocities as the roll is sustained, or use a CC curve/ramp to bring up the instrument's 'volume'.

Some kits might accept expression volume with CC 1 or CC 11, while others might require you use channel volume with CC 7. Using one of these, you'd gradually raise the volume while the roll is sustaining.

Note, if you use a continuous controller such as CC 1, 11, or 7 to bring up the volume, this might also cause any other instruments being played on the same kit to also crescendo. If this effect is NOT desired, then you would either isolate the snare part on a channel of its own, or opt for the method of increasing the individual note-on velocities.

What kind of software are you using to compose with? Score editors like Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore? A DAW like Cubase, ProTools, Sonar, etc?

I ask because many of these packages come with all sorts of tools that can make automating what you're asking for a breeze. I.E. Scoring packages often have a way to design rudiments and ornamentations that you'd simply drag onto the page (translators for traditional scoring symbols), or to run simple scripts or plugins using a few simple clicks. Some of them also come with 'sketch pads' containing many of the most commonly used rudiments already built...so you just drag them into the score.

When a score editor falls short of automation tools (or the user doesn't have time to learn it), it's not uncommon for people to simply write out the full rudiment using traditional notation on a different stave for playback purposes, and 'hide' that in favor of a 'short-hand' style of visual notation for printing.

DAW sequencers often have easy to use grids where you can literally paint exactly what sounds you want on the screen, in any resolution you like, and then drag the 'individual note velocities' around with ease. DAWs also tend to have a lot of robust 'MIDI effect' processors, or even real time one touch 'rudiment' machines that can be implemented. Better DAWs will also have scripting engines for easily automating redundant things, such as dropping the velocity of every other note in a selected passage by X% in one pass (the bounce stroke), then 'ramping' them all relatively from a lower velocity to a higher one (the crescendo). DAWs also tend to have controller lanes that make it easy to literally paint in things like sforzandos and crescendos with the mouse.

Credo

Software Owned:
Cubase 8.5; Sibelius 7.5; Finale 2014.5; Bidule;
Garritan Ultimate Collection, Halion 5, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, SONiVOX Film and Orchestra Companion

Postby Derrek » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:42 am

My mistake: the drum rolls are in the GPO4 package.
I generally look to other non-Garritan packages for (dance) drum sets. Wish that were not so.

Derrek

Software Owned:
Finale 2014.5
GPO5, JABB, GWI
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7

Postby sus4 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 am

Credo, thanks for your great response. I'm using Sibelius for my notation program and Logic Pro X for my DAW. I'll check out your suggestions and see what works best for me and I'll post here with my results. Thanks again.

sus4

Software Owned: